How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carole Your Own Question
Carole, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 406
Experience:  20+ years professional experience in emergency nursing, skilled, HIV Certified educator
Type Your Health Question Here...
Carole is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 44 yr old male and I have an extremely painful bump

This answer was rated:

I am a 44 yr old male and I have an extremely painful bump on my left side near my breast, the bump is hard and there is swelling around it, any ideas?


Could you please tell me,

Can you describe this lump, small large, approximate size?

Have you had any injury, trauma that you know of to this area?

Is there any drainage present?

How long have you had this lump?

Thank You,


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the bump is a tad bit bigger than a jellybean, i would say about medium sized. I don't recall getting hurt on that side, but then again I have 2 large dogs, and german shepard and newfound, both still puppies by age wise but quite strong.could be maybe i pulled something when i was walking them, have had it for probably close to a month, but it was small at that point but still hurt.


This type of "lump" (for it's size as well) would not be very common of that of a pulled muscle/tendon, etc. in the area which you have described . This is more localized, as this may be more of a nodule, boil, subdermal infection, abscess, cyst, swollen lymph node, or others. Because you have had this for about a month, I wouldn't consider this to be an insect bite or a simple pimple.

I would suggest having your primary care physician take a look at this area when possible. He/she could examinate the area, in order to properly diagnose and treat if necessary. Because you are experiencing "extreme pain" at the affected area, (this is common of infection) I would consider this to be a possibility. There are other causes and conditions which may contribute to this, and be painful, but without further examination would be difficult to determine for sure.

If you experience any fever, chills, redness in or around the affected area "lump", or anything out of the ordinary, I would suggest that you go to the ER for evaluation and treatment as necessary.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank You,


Carole and other Health Specialists are ready to help you