How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Tiwari Your Own Question
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5256
Experience:  M.D.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.Tiwari is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 65 year old female. I have scoliosis leading to

Resolved Question:

I am a 65 year old female. I have scoliosis leading to severe lumbar bi-lateral canal stenosis and disc bulge. This has been managed in the past by cortisone injections, epidurals and pain medication (oxycontin). My symptoms have recently deteriorated and I have severe pain, particularly in my right leg - groin, outside of my leg down to my ankle, particularly around my knee. I have severe pain after a few steps. Oxycontin does not relieve this and my G.P. does not have any alternative. I am waiting for various appointments with Pain Clinic and Spinal Clinic. Is there an alternative medication for use with nerve pain that my G.P. could prescribe?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 8 years ago.
    As such in your condition the better is to have permanent cure by treating the cause that is most probably your canal stenosis & disc bulge.
There are various other medicines for use for neurogenic pain or nerve pain that include antidepressant drugs & anticonvulsant drugs,local capsiacin & local xylocaine patches.Other medicines can be used by specialists only.I think it will help you.
With Regards.
Dr.Tiwari and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you