R Makaza
R Makaza, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)with Honours in Surgery. 7 years experience.
13001479

My mother had catarac removed in both eyes lost sight in

Customer Question

my mother had catarac removed in both eyes lost sight in right eye because of tumor on optic nerve     could surgeon have known about the tumor before the surgery and done it anyway
Category: Health
Expert:  R Makaza replied 8 years ago.
Hi there

My answer is no. If he knew he would have in my opinion said so and offered the appropriate treatment for it. Tumours of the optic nerve can occur anywhere along the length of the nerve from the back of the eye to where the nerve terminates in the brain. This means there is a possibility of a tumour of the nerve that may not be seen by visual inspection of the eye alone.

I hope you found this information helpful and if that is the case please click accept.

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

the tumor was in her and growing for a long time according to another doctor

when the tumor was growing it finally covered the optic nerve and was pusching against the brain and the optic nereve in the right eye.......my question is when they were examing the eye before surgeory on catarac could the surger have known that there was a tumor and he did not say so and went ahead with the surgery anyway.......

Expert:  R Makaza replied 8 years ago.
Hi Again

My answer remains no. He would have mentioned it and done the necesary referral. If you still have your doubts the best person to speak to would be him.

I hope you you found this helpful and if that is the case please click accept.

Thank you.