Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

WHERE CAN I FIND A DR THAT PRESCRIBES MARINOL?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
10/30/2008
Health Professional: Internist, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
hello jt7000

You would find a doctor in a large cancer center, but to my knowledge it is only prescribed for patients undergoing chemotherapy.

This communication will remain open until your question has been answered. If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT. POSITIVE FEEDBACK/BONUS is always appreciated. This is how I am compensated for my work. This response does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.
I'm sorry I was looking for the name of a Dr. that prescribes marinol, preferably in PA but am willing to travel. Online investigation seems to show that the medication is being prescribed off-label for lower back pain. Even more medical marijana is a reality in about 10 states and used for back pain. Your answer is too general, with others receiving marinol for lower back pain, however it might end up being my reality...............nonetheless.....Please find me a Dr. willing to prescribe marinol for lower back pain.

I'm sorry but I thought I answered your question as to where you could find a doctor that prescribes Marinol.

I cannot search for a specific doctor willing to treat you. I recommend that you call a major center closest to you, ask for the Oncology office and request the name of a Dr. who has experience with this drug and then ask if he will treat you for your back problem.

This communication will remain open until your question has been answered. I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" so I may get credit for my work. POSITIVE FEEDBACK/BONUS is always appreciated. If you ARE NOT satisfied, please ask for more information or explanation. This response does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.

I tried your suggestion at Fox Chase cancer center. There was only one number. The very mention of Marinol aroused a suspicious attitude. I was questioned and when explained my situation the person kinda yelled at me that they treat cancer there not back pain and referred me to Jefferson University Hospital. I am now waiting for a call back from Jefferson Hospital after giving some basic information to make an appointment. I beleive I am likely to receive this type of response anywhere.

My back pain seems to be growing fast and I will maybe soon run out of Vicodan. I am not sure that any Dr. will prescribe more medication for me. I now use Vicodan, lyrica. xanax and paxil and feldene all together and lay on a heating pad when my back starts to hurt at a torture level. Within a few days a new cycle begins. I need a Dr. to prescribe stronger medication. I just had an MRI with a Dr. a few months ago, the diagnosis was degenerative disc disease. The Dr's. I have seen do not seem to appreciate the amount of pain I am in. JT

Health Professional: Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN) replied 9 years ago
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Hello Jt7000,

I am truly sorry for the pain you are in and I deeply empathize; I have back problems as well. Like Dr. Bisordi I can not give you a specific doctors name, but I CAN tell you the specialty you seek. I suggest you visit a doctor who specializes in pain management. Those physicians and NP's who specialize in this are quite skilled at various modalities of allievating severe and chronic pain.

I did note the medications you take and have tried. I have another suggestion you can discuss with your doctor. Many have found amitriptylene useful in chronic pain, especially when it is caused by injuries to nerves as is the case in degenerative joint disease. This medication is conventionally used as an anti depressant. Personally, I have found it quite effective on my own back pain.

Lastly, I have had patients on Marinol, people who have also smoked marajuana, and every single one has said that the smoked marajuana is FAR more effective than is the Marinol. Understand Im NOT telling you to go and use marajuana as that would be illegal (and you would not know what quality substance you were buying, street drugs can be and often are adulterated with other substances).

Here are some pain clinics: I dont know any of them personally; they were found on the internet.

http://www.delcopainmanagement.net/
and http://www.paincaredocs.com/ and http://www.einsteinpain.com/
There are many others...I put "PA pennsylvania pain management" into Google's search engine.

Here is information on amitriptylene: http://www.rxlist.com/elavil-drug.htm

I hope this helped,
Sincerely,
Susan
Agree with nurse Susan who has made very helpful suggestions for your problem.

Hello Susan:

Now I might be getting somewhere. Please give me the names of the Doctors who prescribed marinol for your patients. I am willing to travel to NY or even relocate to California if Marinol really does help me. JT

Hello JT7000,

Honestly, I dont recall the names of the patient's doctors. This was years ago, and I just remember their experiences with the Marinol. And, as I said, they werent too impressed.

Doctors at the pain clinic might be able to help you. I do wish marajuana were legal for pain control.

I wish you the best,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)