How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Gelis Your Own Question
Joseph Gelis
Joseph Gelis, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  LSU Graduate 1992 w/ Bacc. Science in Nursing, 15+ years bedside nursing, mostly in critical care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Joseph Gelis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been getting a sharp pain, almost like a jolt of electricity

Resolved Question:

I have been getting a sharp pain, almost like a jolt of electricity that starts in my upper right ribcage area and shoots down my right arm. It makes my fingertips in my right hand tingle. This just started about a week ago and only happens once or twice a day. It only lasts for a split second. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be??? I don't even know what kind of doctor to see? I'm 43 and not too overweight. It doesn't seem to corrolated with eating.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Joseph Gelis replied 8 years ago.
Are you a diabetic?

How long has this been happening?

Have you ever had a significant injury to this arm/shoulder?

Have you had any recent illnesses?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I am not diabetic and no injuries. I have low blood pressure. I was sick for a month in June. The doctors never did determine what it was because the lab lost my bloodwork. They did say my liver enzymes were high but have since come back to normal and I feel fine. I am under a lot of stress. The electric type shocks are just scaring me a bit. Is it a normal part of getting older???
Expert:  Joseph Gelis replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like it could be some sort of neuropathy, possibly an inflammation of a nerve. You could start out with your primary care physician, but would probably wind up seeing a neurologist. Some viruses can settle in nerve roots and cause symptoms similar to this. I hope this helps and you get some relief soon.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much Mr. Gelis. I will see a nuerologist. It's nothing I can't live with just more scary than anything. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Joseph Gelis replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for allowing Just Answer and myself to assist you. If you are satisfied with my answer, you can click ACCEPT to accept it.
Joseph Gelis and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you