Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

HOW DOES A FRACTURED FINGER TAKE TO HEAL AND SHOULD IT BE

HOW LONG DOES A FRACTURED FINGER TAKE TO HEAL AND SHOULD IT BE STRAPED UP
Customer

If you have the following symptoms, this means a fracture has occurred and you will need to go to the ER to have an x-ray done- pain, swelling, discoloration, heat and warmth, limited ability to move, and deformity. If this just happened and if you haven't already, in the meantime you can apply ice for 15-20 min each hour for the first one to two days. I would most definately get an x-ray done if you feel it may be broken. Having an x-ray done is the only way to know for sure if it is broken. If it is broken, treatment depends on the type of fracture and what bone is injured. This could involve only taping or splinting one finger to the other. If a fracture is severe, then surgery is done. If it is a simple fracture, it usually takes 4-6 weeks to heal. You can read more here
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/broken_finger/article_em.htm
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I had an xray and was told it was a hairline fracture this was a week ago and the swelling hasn't gone down nor has the pain gone away it was never straped should this have settled down abit by now
Customer

If pain and swelling have not lessened since then, I would let your doctor know who may have you come in for an evaluation. If it is severe, then I would make a trip to the ER. At this point your symptoms should be lessened, and not worse or the same.