Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Is there an alternative drug to Metoprolol Tartrate that

Customer Question
will stop excessive fatigue and...
Is there an alternative drug to Metoprolol Tartrate that will stop excessive fatigue and depression?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Expert: Dr. K, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. K, Doctor
HiCustomer

Why are you taking the Metoprolol? Also, are you saying that the medication is causing you fatigue and depression, or is that separate?

Dr. K

This question is for my husband, he is 73 yrs. of age. He had a mild heart attack

several years ago. He was on Atenolol until his new cardiologist changed him to

Metoprolo tartrate last year. His serious fatigue and depression have increased

greatly. He has diabetes and Crohn's disease.. he is currently taking Asacol,Metformin, Mevacor,Prozac, Hytrin, Prolosec, Welbutrin, Oxazepam, baby asprin, and Iron.

Hi Kay,

Metoprolol falls in a class of drugs known as beta-blockers. Atenolol is also a beta-blocker. These medications have been shown to decrease mortality in patients who have had a heart attack, and are thus a cornerstone of the treatment for heart attacks. There are many different beta blockers out there, each with their own varying degree of side effects. It sounds like Atenolol was doing well at least in terms of side effects, do you know why it was changed? Additional medications in the class include Carvedilol, Esmolol, Labetalol, Propranolol, and many others. It might take a few switches to ultimately find that one that works best with your husband.

Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Doctor
Dr. K
Dr. K, Doctor