How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Ivy Your Own Question
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4058
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
Type Your Health Question Here...
Susan Ivy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For the past 4 months, whenever I do situps, something

Customer Question

For the past 4 months, whenever I do situps, something (either a muscle, ribs or something) sticks out and cause debilitation pain in my upper left chest area. The pain is only relieved by my pressing the "thing" back in place then rolling onto my stomach to make my body weight help to push the thing back in. I do not have any problems breathing, no change in bowel habits, no night sweats, no cough, no upper respiratory symptoms, no chest trauma or surgery no heart problems. I am female, in late 30's and My medical conditions are GERD and asthma. A friend said that it could be a hernia but I did not think hernias are that far up in the chest area. I read about costochondritis but it seems that condition goes away in weeks, I've had this for months. What could it be? What kind of doctor should i see about this? Any other advice?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Hello d,

Thank you for using Justanswer for your concern.

Is this right at the bottom of the chest bone (sternum?). Or right below the rib cage on the left side?

Is this as hard as a bone would be? Try to describe it a little more.

Unless this is a rib or there is a broken rib allowing something to go through, there is nothing that could come through your rib cage.

Hernias, although more common in certain places can occur anywhere on the abdomen. With your GERD, a hiatal hernia sounds like a possibility, although this usually appears near the bottom of the sternum, even slightly to the left.

If you will answer the question, or let me know if you think then that this is a hernia, I'll be happy to give you more information.

I'll look for your reply.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for responding. My records state "pt with ttp in IC space on L, between 10th and 11th ribs, R/O Hernia, consult to surgery". This pain and the thing sticking out only occurs on sit ups. It actually feels like a bone or a really hard muscle which to me still does not seem right to be sticking out. Hopefully, this extra info helps you a bit.

please advise

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

I wrote one answer, but it didnt go thru?

"ttp" usually means thrombocytic thombrosis purpura (or close) and I can find no other meaning for it. It probably just means "something sticking out" but i can't know that for sure!

I can only imagine this being a hernia with muscle over it, thus the hardness.

But I think know once is going to know unless they do an MRI or such. Is that in the works?

Susan Ivy and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no, but I asked for a consult to orthopedics..will keep you posted
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Good idea. Yes, let me know the outcome.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I completed my consult to surgery and he said that it IS costochondritis. I am unsure of this as I am concerned about this bone sticking out upon certain movements like sit ups. I still have a request in for ortho and for an MRI. Any other suggestions?

What do you know about costochondritis?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Wow, no. Sorry, I didn't know the bone could move and stick out like this. Thanks for letting me know.

i could give you a link to an article, but besides that I don't know that much about costochondritis, but think I will look up and learn more.

For just answer, it might be good if you post a new question and and put that you would like to be answered by an ortho or someone knowledgeable about costochondritis in the post title. You can still refer them back to this question (they can look it up) so that you don't have to repeat history, but I think one or a doc knowledgeable about that would be more likely to pick it up than if I were just to opt out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** psted as suggested
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
I saw earlier. One doctor was looking at it but it appears he decided not to answer (he wasn't a ortho - and honestly, I'm not for sure that we have one here, but if you get no answer after awhile I will ask one of the docs that comes on later if he knows of one or if he can look at your question.