Dr AW
Dr AW, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with hospital experience as SHO in a wide variety of fields
12248854

What is the male equivalent to a gynaecologist? Need to go

What is the male equivalent to a gynaecologist? Need to go see a doctor who specialises in male genitalia.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

The equivalent would be a urologist who deals with problems of prostate, testis and penis. A urologist does however also deal with urinary problems so does see women as well.

I hope this information is useful, feel free to reply for any clarification

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey there

I went to a GP a while back and he diagnosed me with dermatitis on the head of the penis. He prescribed a cream but said it was not really treatable and would also be a symptom, which I find hard to believe.

What I am finding is that that part of the penis is now quite tender which is causing erectile problems during intercourse, particularly with condom.

So rather than go to a GP I thought I'd go see a specialist on genital conditions like this.

Would you still recommend a urologist or any other tips?
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Dermatitis on the head of the penis (I tthink balanitis is being described) could be caused by to certain soaps, or contact that precipitates allergy. This could even be from spermicide from a condom.

Another possibility is infection.

I would just check if any new products were used in association with the start of your symptoms. I would also see the GP again in the first instance to ensure any infection has been ruled out - with appropriate antibacterial or antifungal prescribed if this is a potential problem. If this doesn't yield a result in terms of diagnosis or treatment then it is well worth seeing a urologist for another opinion on viewing the area.

If you are uncircumcised a relatively common problem is the build up of smegma just under the foreskin that can cause irritation and lead to dermatitis on the head of the penis. If you gently retract your foreskin and wash the area you may find some smegma that can be washed away. Sometimes this is difficult for men with a tight foreskin.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I think this is what he described. The first time it appeared was after I had intercourse using a condom, which I had not used for a long time prior to this occasion since I was in a long-term relationship before.

Since then (July) I have had three other sexual partners and it seems this problem occurs after using condom each time since the head of the penis then is quite sore and irritated, which lowers erectile functioning.

I am curious that it may be an allergy to the spermacide or to a particular soap?

Another possibility is infection.

I had STD test with that GP and he cleared me from that possibility.

Ok

I go to the gym so I probably shower and clean that area thoroughly 2 x times per day.

Any further pointers would be appreciated.

Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the further information.

Given what you have said it would be worth checking the condoms you have been using contain spermicide. It is also possible to be allergic to the latex. There are non latex and non spermicide condoms available and your pharmacist should be able to supply these if you ask to try these. Which may help with your problem.

If you do wash the area thoroughly, it may be that the soap you are using might be irritating the area.

However given what you have said I am suspicious of either a spermicide or latex allergy.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you recommend i go and see a GP or straight to a urologist?
will they still be able to prescribe something for the dermatitis which seems to still be there even in the times when i have not used a condom for up to three weeks?
thnx
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

It appears that the GP has ruled out infection. We have discussed possibility of allergy to which measures to prevent a reoccurrence can be carried out by yourself.

When such a sensitive area is irritated it can take time for the area to heal.

If your symptoms are not improving I think that you could go straight to a urologist for another opinion as I can well imagine how uncomfortable this problem is. In order to prescribe something the cause of the dermatitis needs identifying, in case of bacterial infection antibiotic, antifungal cream for candida, steoidal cream for allergic irritation. If just the foreskin of the head is involved circumcision could be suggested which would eliminate the problem.

But it would be a good idea to seek a urologist opinion to see if he agrees with the diagnosis and seek additional options especially if your GP feels they can't offer anything else to relieve your symptoms. If your urologist feels that it isn't balanitis it is possible depending on the involvement that they may sugget a consult with a dermatologist as there are other skin conditions that can mimic this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The first person who saw me for this is an old GP - I have moved in the last three months so will go and see a new one tomorrow - does that sound like a first good step?

With the old GP we did not really explore all options as you have laid them out - all he said was it was not an STD, and so he went with dermatitis - I am sure there was more evidence that led to this analysis but he did not tell me.

I will tell the new GP the type of cream I am on and describe the symptoms just like I have to you, and mention that the symptoms have not disappeared even after the application of the cream.

If he feels it is a good way forward he can always refer me to a urologist.

Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

I think you have arrived at a very sensible plan given your circumstances.

I think we have dicussed all the relevant information regarding balanitis and don't think there is anything further to add information wise at this point.