Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

Recently my fingernails have ridges from nail-bed to tips

Recently my fingernails have ridges from nail-bed to tips and some of them are splitting in center, causing nail to peel on each side of split, therefore being rough and have to shorten to get rid of split.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR TOE NAIL.. ARE THEY BRITTLE OR SPLIT AS WELL .. WHAT MEDICINES ARE YOU ON AND WHAT MEDICAL CONDITIONS? DO YOU DO ALOT OF WASHING ETC WHICH REQUIRES REPEATED WASHING OF HANDS?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My toenails are OK, haven't noticed any of these symptoms. I take a blod pressure med and a Cholestrol med. Do you need to know which ones?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I take simvastatin - 40mg and benzapril hcl -20 mg. No, I don't have my hands in lots of water and my medical condition is very good.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
do you use alot of detergents ... apply nail polish remover.. are your nails soft or hard?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't use lots of detergents and usually don't use polish, so therefore, no polish remover. My nails used to be pretty soft but they seem to be harder now and grow fairly easy.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
Onychoschizia or spliting of nails is seemed to be the problem in your case which is supported by the fact that only finger nails are involved and toe nails are firm and strong. Also important to rule out thyroid disease as it can also cause similar condition along with vitamin deficiency.The best treatment is to avoid repeated wetting and drying of the nails. Try to wear cotton lined rubber gloves when performing household chores that involve getting the hands wet. Rub lotions containing alpha-hydroxy acids such as Neostrata or lanolin containing lotions such as Elon.Never use metal instruments on the nail surface to push back the cuticle .Nail polish can protect the nail surface. The almost daily application of a "top coat" will keep the nail tips protected.biotin (a vitamin) 2.5 mg a day taken by mouth is beneficial. Don't use it if you are pregnant.