Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

Pain on surface of skin on one upper leg

Left upper leg is sensitive to touch and feels tender.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Did you injure the leg?
Where exactly is the tenderness? The upper, outer thigh area?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, I did not injure the leg and the tenderness is in the upper front and inner part of the thigh. It originated on the inner thigh but has spread to the front.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Was there a rash in the area?
Do you have any discomfort in the back, or have a history of back problems?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No there is no rash in the area, but the pain feels like sun burn and is sensitive to touch. No back discomfort but I have discomfort in the pelvis area.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

From the description, it's a bit difficult to tell what could be causing this pain.
Unfortunately, I suspect that a doctor's exam in person would be helpful for this, since it is difficult to tell if this pain is coming from irritation of the skin in the area, or if it is a deeper (nerve) related pain.
The fact that the pain seems to radiate into the pelvis and inner thigh suggests it could be nerve related, or one of the upper lumbar nerve roots becoming irritated, causing this pain and burning sensation. Should this be the case, a majority of them (over 95%) get better on its own.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Forgetting about the discomfort in the pelvic area and focusing on the skin surface since the pain feels like sun burn, what do you recommend?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

If the pain is from irritation of the skin itself (e.g. a reaction to some material on the skin, like a dermatitis), then some topical cream may help (like a ben-gay, or a steroid cream).
Should the pain come from nerve irritation, then skin creams will not work.
Either way, anti-inflammatory medications (Advil and Aleve) will help with the discomfort. Warm compresses may help.