Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

Why do I wake up every morning short of breath, feel like I

Why do I wake up every morning short of breath, feel like I have a build up of phlegm in my chest?
Any swelling in the ankles?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
nope.....no swelling of the ankles at all.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

no......no swelling of the ankles at all.

HelloCustomer

Do you wake up gasping for breath?

Do you have a cough?

Do you have any sinus drainage?

Do you cough anything up?

Do you have a fever?

When did this start?

Thank you ,

Macy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I would not say that I am gasping for breath but I feel that my chest is tight, needs expanding, and I must try to take deep breaths to open up my chest in order to breathe easier.

I do start to cough in order to loosen phlegm. Sometimes I might cough up a little clear phlegm. Within a half hour or so after getting up my breathing is normal again.

Yes I do have sinus drainage......post nasal drip and then during the day my nose clogs up and I have to breath through my mouth.

No....I do not have a fever but occasionally I wake up sweating in the night.

This has been for about the past year

Thank you so much for your reply.

Asthma symptoms that occur at night are part of nighttime asthma, or nocturnal asthma, a very common condition for many people with asthma.

Sleep is not the actual trigger, but while we sleep the airways tend to narrow and mucus tends to build up in the airways, often triggering about of coughing.

There are many causes of nocturnal asthma, including:

~At night there are changes in body chemicals, which can increase inflammation.

~The drop in body temperature at night causes airway cooling and narrowing.

~Allergens encountered in the daytime may produce a delayed response three to eight hours later, just in time for nighttime sleep.

~Increased drainage from the sinuses while lying down may trigger a reaction in sensitive airways.

~Lying horizontally may allow some of the stomach contents to rise up into the esophagus. This is called reflux and may trigger an asthma episode in sensitive individuals.

If you do have night time asthma your doctor can prescribe a night time asthma medication taken before bed to help you get through the night without tightness in your chest.

If it is acid reflux you can try antacids before bed and elevating the head of your bed.

Make an appt with your doctor to see if you cant get rid of this.

Some people have success with Singulair taken before bed to help allergies and night time asthma.

Best wishes,

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.