Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My 86 year old mother has congestive heart failure and is

Customer Question
now in renal and kidney...
my 86 year old mother has congestive heart failure and is now in renal and kidney failure , how long can she last? she has had chf for many years and renal failure for many years but never on dialisys for it ,now hospice says she is in renal and kidney failure. she is so weak and short of breath and on 160mg of lasix a day , but it is not pulling off the fluid. it is around her stomach and going upwards toward her chest. please any answer would give me peice of mind. thanks,sherry
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
9/1/2008
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)

Sorry to know that your mother is in a hospice care with many organ failure.

Previously she had heart failure. now in kidney failure with accumulation of water in the body.

With 160 mg of Lasix she is still having fluid in her body , even in the chest.

With large amount of lasix, any time she may develop electrolyte imbalance.

Without dialysis it is difficult to maintain electrolytes like sodium, potassium in a balance.

Electrolyte imbalance will cause arrhythmia or irregular heart rate.

Large fluid in the chest cavity will aggravate respiration distress.

Overall prognosis is not good, but it is not possible to predict the time.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)