Dr.Mian
Dr.Mian, MD
Experience:  Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine
11474993

ER last..My pregnancy test..my HCG levels..baby on ultrasound

Hello, I have been in ER last Wednesday for an abdominal pain. My pregnancy test was positive and my HCG levels were at 3300. The doctors could not find the baby on ultrasound. They suspected ectopic, but they could not see pregnancy in the tubes either. They have diagnosed me with threatened miscarriage. They measured my HCG levels 2 days later and they were at 2800. It has been five days later and I still have no bleeding, but the pains are still there off and on. Please help me understand whats going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 8 years ago.

Hi

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Declining values of beta HCG are more consistent with abortion but decline rate is not as can be expected from complete abortion. It should decline its level about 50% in 24 hours if it was complete abortion. But this does not happen in incomplete or threatened abortions.

If there is a viable pregnancy, beta HCG level doubles in almost 72 hours. But this happens in first 11 weeks of pregnancy and after that its level does not rise that much and rather becomes more steady.

I think repeat ultrasound and repeat beta HCG level should clear the situation.

Best wishes