Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

SINCE AN EAR INFECTION IN EARLY JUNE, I HAVE MY RIGHT EAR

Customer Question

SINCE AN EAR INFECTION IN EARLY JUNE, I HAVE MY RIGHT EAR WITH A STUFFED SENSATION AND EVEN THOUGH SOMETIMES IT CLEARS, THE STUFFINESS COMES BACK.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 9 years ago.
you might have wax build up or problem with eustachian tube. You should see your doctor so that he can evalaute the situation. In the mean while you can apply some warm compress andprop your self up while sleeping.. that may make it easier.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
WAX BUILD UP HAS BEEN DISCARDED BY DOCTORS, WHAT KIND OF EUSTACHIAN TUBE PROBLEMS MAY I HAVE AND HOW CAN IT BE DIAGNOSE.
Expert:  Salar replied 9 years ago.
The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose.It can get blocked in URI, cold, allergies, sinus infection. The blockage can present with stuffiness.
There are several manuvers which can be helpful including eating, chewing gum, yawning, also you can open them forcefully by taking a deep breath and then pinch the nose and try to exhale. you will feel the pop and you know its successful. If you feel dizzy stop the act. If it continues to worsen .. seek medical attention and they can look into ear with otoscope etc.

Follow the link for deailed info.
http://www.medicinenet.com/eustachian_tube_problems/article.htm#1whatis
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

THIS CONDITION HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 3 MONTHS. SOMETIMES IT CLEARS FOR A BRIEF MOMENT AND THEN CLOGGED AGAIN.

DOES AN EAR MRI OR OTHER PROCEDURE HELP IN REVEALING THE CAUSE.

Expert:  Salar replied 9 years ago.
the first thing would be an evaluation by the doctor.. so that he can examine and rule out wax etc. MRI could be an option based on your doctor's suspision.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I HAVE BEEN EVALUATED BY DOCTORS AND THEY THEY DID'NT FIND ANYTHING UNUSUAL. THEY RULED OUT THE WAX. THEY GAVE ME SOME ANTI-INFLAMATORIES BUT IT DIDNT HELP IN THE LONG RUN.
Expert:  Salar replied 9 years ago.
if you continue to have problems .. your doctor can do an MRI.