How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr J Burk Your Own Question
Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 2639
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr J Burk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 32 years old. I have blood in my urine directly after

Customer Question

I am 32 years old. I have blood in my urine directly after sex. I have also noticed a couple of blood clots. At all other times it is OK. After sex inside feels tender. I have been to the doctor and my urine sample is clear and swab was OK. What do you think it could be ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

Are you 100% certain that the blood is in your urine and is not coming from your vagina?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


Yes. I am definitely sure. I have held toilet paper in my urine stream which is red coloured to make sure.

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

You need to be referred to a urologist.

You need a cystoscopy - camera exam of the bladder.

Presumably the bleeding is due to trauma from intercourse but you may have a growth of some sort on the wall of your bladder.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for this information. I did have blood in my urine after sex (again just the once directly after sex) as a 'one-off' event approx. 3 years ago and it did not happen again after that until 6 weeks ago. Since this time, it has been everytime I have had sex (except 2 times when we did it very gently). When it happened 3 years ago I just assumed that it was because it had been an 'intense / exotic' session.


Do you still think it may be a growth ?



Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

You should not be bleeding and no I do not think that we can explain this away due to Trauma from intercourse.

If you were my patient I would refer you.

I would consider it unlikely that anything "sinister" would be found but a 5 min exam would seem a reasonable next step?

Dr Jef

PS - you either have yourself referred or do nothing!
Dr J Burk and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you. I wasn't suggesting that I not do anything as it is actually worrying me, which is why I have contacted you aswell as going through things with my GP. Your mention of a growth really worried me so I thought by giving you more information you may come up with something else. I guess just trying to make myself feel better! Thank you for your time and information it is appreciated.

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

I did not intend to cause you undue alarm.

It would be very unusual for someone of your age to have a serious problem inside the bladder.

Dr Jef