Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have had sore, cracked skin all around the foreskin on my

Customer Question
penis for several months now...
I have had sore, cracked skin all around the foreskin on my penis for several months now. The doctor gave me Canestan and it helped for a while, but now it doesn't touch it. I have tried all kinds of creams, includidng aqueous, which again semed to help at first, but as soon as I have the slightest contact with my partner it comes back, and is gradually getting worse. It is of course very painful to urinate as well. I am meticulous about washing.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
9/1/2008
Health Professional: Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist replied 9 years ago
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist

What you have is Candidal balanoposthitis. This is caused by the yeast infection candida albicans.

Here is what you ought to do:

1. Check your fasting and postmeal(2 hours after food) blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes. Uncontrolled diabetes is the main cause for recurrent candidal balanoposthitis. If the sugar levels are high, treat it ASAP.
  2. Treat your partner also along with you. Check her blood sugar level as well.
  3. Apply Daktarin cream twice daily. Use Gynodaktarin cream or gel or Daktarin vaginal pessaries for your partner.
  4. Take Diflucan 150 mg weekly twice for two weeks.
  5. If the maceration and cracking is severe, take a week's course of Flagyl 200 mg three times daily.

I hope my information is helpful. If you have more questions, just ask! I will gladly help, otherwise please click "ACCEPT". Positive FEEDBACK and any bonus would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist