Victoria
Victoria, Chiropractor
Experience:  25 years overall experience in health care from hospital-based intensive care to private practice
9768737

What does it mean if my MPV is high?

When the body produces increased numbers of platelets, the size of the average platelet increases, MVP is used to look at platelet output by the bone marrow. It helps along with other measurements to assess between hyperdestructive thrombocytopenia (actual destruction of platelets "normally" produced by the bone marrow as in idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura vs hypoproductive thrombocytopnenia. It is also being looked at as an indice in heart disease and diabetes as a predictor of stroke. They may be looking to see if an autoimmune process is occurring vs a bone marrow problem in productivity.

Read full interaction below »

I have a high MPV of 15.6. No other values on my blood test was high. I am currently on 150 ml of Wellbutrin. I am not overweight at 140 at 5'6". I generally take omega 3's, b-complex and coenzyme 10 vitamins every other day. What would cause this and is it something to be concerned about?

Category: Health

Was this part of a routine CBC? Are you of the initials MPV vs MCV or MCH or MCHC? If not, want was the purpose of the blood test?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

It was a large chemistry test from my endocronologist as my sister has many medical problems (fibromyalgia, endometriosis, POTS, hypothyroid) so I went to her for a thyroid test and a general test. My WBC was 6.2 RBC 4.44 MCV 91.8 my MCH 30.6 and my MCHC 33.4 my lymphocytes were at 32.6. So the mean platelet volume was the only thing really high. I understand that this is not normally done and is a test that is "relatively" new to look at as well.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

So what does is mean if I have high MPV and what can I do about it? Is it basically I am either high risk for stroke or have hyperdestructive thromocystopenia? What would be the standard protocol for someone with this?

Do you have symptoms of easy bruising? Fatigue? Are you a vegetarian? Did you get tested for B12 deficiency?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I do have easy bruising and fatigue. I am not a vegetarian and did not get tested for b12. However, I am prone to cold sores and get sick often, so I take stress b complex every other day and find that helps.

If your platelets which are an important part of blood clotting are being rapidly destroyed, the bone marrow becomes stressed to put out more and more platelets. At some point, the bone marrow cannot make them fast enough, so it starts releasing immature platelets which are larger than normal ones and even though your bone marrow for a while is able to keep your absolute platelet count within a normal range that can be deceptive. The MPV will increase, denoting something is wrong, as the platelets are abnormally large in size even if the platelet count still looks within normal range. In a 24 y.o., one of the differential diagnoses would be ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura) which is an autoimmune disease in which the body forms abnormal antibodies to its own tissues, in this case, the platelets. It is rare, but can be a very serious condition when misdiagnosed. Here is a website where you can read more about it: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/idiopathic-thrombocytopenic-purpura/DS00844

The doctor still needs to find out the cause of the elevated MVP. I assume a pathologist will look at your platelets. Meanwhile you do not want to take anything that can encourage bleeding such as omega 3 fish oil, Advil, Naproxen, aspirin or play contact sports.