How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Mian Your Own Question
Dr.Mian, MD
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 399
Experience:  Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.Mian is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if I take 2 10mg ambien instead of one? I just

Resolved Question:

What happens if I take 2 10mg ambien instead of one ? I just took one and it had no effect on me.....can I take a second and if so what will happen ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 9 years ago.


Maximum recommended dose of Zolpidem(Ambien) is 10 mg. If someone has liver function problem, older age,using other sedatives, it should be lowered to even 5 mg.

You should avoid taking more than recommended doses of ambien.

Its overdose can result in excessive sleepiness, depressed breathing etc.

Talk to you local physician if it could be switched to ambien CR or Lunesta etc for bettr sleep.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
well the reason i am asking is that i just took an ambien about 1.5 hours ago and has not kicked in yet. I wasnt wondering if i took a second one would it put me to sleep......
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 9 years ago.

Well i have seen patients doing it for better sleep.. like taking more than recommended without having any apparent side effects but better sleep. But it is not safe to do can take more but at your own discretion.

Still please talk to your doctorfor changing to different drug if this is not working.

I can imagine hopw frustrating it is when you are waiting for sleep.

L tryptophan, melatonin etc are also being used as supplements for sleep. so discuss these with your prescribing physician also.

Best wishes

Dr.Mian and other Health Specialists are ready to help you