Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Today I had what I think was a boil on my left hand (between

Hi.
Today I had what I think was a boil on my left hand (between my index finger and thumb) lanced, after my whole hand was swollen from it. I am on a course of Bactrim and another Rifampin right now, but tonight a red line has formed from my hand to my biccep. Could this be blood poisoning? The line hurts to the touch, and I am wondering if I can wait until tomorrow to see the doctor.
I am a 26 year old male in good health and only take imetrex for frequent migrains.

thank you for your speedy response.

From your symptoms it appears that the red line is due to thrombophlebitis or inflammation , possibly along with formation of clot in the vein.

This may be due to spread of infection along the vein.

I feel it safer if you show it to doctor without delay.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. Do you think we should go to the ER tonight, or can we wait for the morning to see a doctor? What could happen if there is a blood clot? Will the antibiotics I am currently on help, or do I need to have more, do you think? Does it sound like blood poisoning?
It does not seem to be blood poisoning . It is likely the spread of infection , along the vein.
If there is any formation of clot it will usually get absorbed , but sometimes it may get loose & form embolus. You may need a change of antibiotic too.
As we can not examine you ,we can not advise you like regular doctor . I hope you will understand my limitation.