How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've had a cough for a while now(about 3 months)... The

This answer was rated:

Hey, I've had a cough for a while now(about 3 months)... The thing that's awkward about the cough is that if I don't cough it out, my neck gets stiff. Basically if I am somewhere such as a church, my neck will get stiff since there's nowhere to cough.   I went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago, they found I had peptic ulcer, I was given some antibiotics(Prevacid). However the cough is still here. I also have to spit out constantly, which is due to the cough, because I can't swallow it unless I also swallow the cough, which would cause my neck to get stiff. The stiffness is not all around my neck, most of the time it's usually the left side of my neck, and sometimes the right side of my neck too, but never my whole neck. It feels almost as if it's just a couple of veins getting stiff. I am very healthy overall, I don't have asthma, and I don't have any allergies, and highly doubt that I have been introduced to something that I am allergic too. PLEASE HELP!!!
What type of doctor did you see?

Have you ever smoked?

What type of work do you do?

How old are you?

Do you have any hobbies? Any pets?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What type of doctor did you see?
-Family doctor

Have you ever smoked?

What type of work do you do?
-Im a cashier

How old are you?
Thank you for that additional information;

There are a number of things that could be causing your symptoms including gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) - where stomach acid splashes up into the esophagus (and even into the upper airways in some patients), new onset asthma (sometimes cough is the ONLY symptom)

I would suggest seeing a pulmonologist (lung specialist) to have the cough evaluated.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was actually sent to do a pulmonary test, I am still waiting for the reading of the data, but the person doing the test told me everything seemed fine for an individual my age. The test was actually a set of blowing exercises.
I'm glad to hear that you had a pulmonary function test - and hopefully the official report will confirm that this is normal. A lung specialist would still be my thought.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
One more question how serious is (GERD), and if I was to have it what form of treatment would be needed if there's one (ie. medication,surgery?)
GERD can lead to inflammation of the esophagus and the upper airway and in severe cases scarring and narrowing of the esophagus and airway.
Family Physician and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you