Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

My husband had a stroke and I have been doing a lot of

Customer Question

My husband had a stroke and I have been doing a lot of lifting and bending. I have a muscle in about the middle of my back on the left side and it feels like something is crawling under the skin. Sorry that is the only way I can describge it. It could be called a tingle sensation also. Just curious as to what it could be. I cant find time to go see a doctor to take care of me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
Do you feel like the muscle is "twitching"?

And do you have any problems that travel into your left arm?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: The muscle does twitch and no pain into the left arm.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
OK.

It sounds as if, given your history of lifting and bending, that you have strained one of the muscles on that side, or irritated a small nerve (coming from the back) that goes to that muscle.

When this happens, the muscle often will twitch on its own, and feel uncomfortable, but you should know that in the majority of these cases, this improves on its own over a few weeks. The nerve may be irritated and firing on its own, and will usually calm itself down.

Of course, should you start to have other symptoms - unlikely, but just to inform you -- such as chest pain or trouble breathing, this would be a sign to see a doctor right away.