Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

The back of my knee hurts when I stand up like a rubber band

The back of my knee hurts when I stand up like a rubber band at the back of my knee shortens when sitting and I must stand up straight for a minute or so so the band can lenghten again. It is getting worse and I am icing it, keeping off it and keeping it elevated. I have Synvisc injected every 6-8 months but this is different than the pain in the front of the knee.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
If you feel the back of the knee, do you think there is a bulge there?

Also, does this back of the knee pain travel up the back of the thigh or down into the calf as well?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: no bulge at the back of knee
once in a while it travels up and down
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
Well, one of the causes of pain in the back of the knee can be called a "Baker's cyst", which often causes pain in the back of the knee that worsens with straightening it out, or when you're walking and using the knee.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bakers-cyst/DS00448

Of course, usually a cyst can be felt in the space behind the knee.

Other causes can be tendon inflammation in that area.

The fact that it occasionally travels up and down could also mean it is a sign of nerve irritation, or part of the sciatic nerve, which can be irritated anywhere along its course starting from the lower back, into the buttock, the back of the thigh, the back of the knee, into the calf.

Occasionally pain from the front of the knee (kneecap) can be felt as though it is coming from the back of the knee.

Given the fact that the pain getting worse, and in a different location than you are used to, this is worth having a doctor examine the knee and order further testing if he/she feels it is necessary.