Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Brother was diagnosed as having Sporotrichosis - he had rose

Customer Question
thorn in his hand and...
Brother was diagnosed as having Sporotrichosis - he had rose thorn in his hand and now doctors have said he will lose 2 of his fingers on his hand - naturally without any operating and to let them know immediately via ER at hospital if his taste for beer/alcohol wanes (usually a heavy drinker). Has anyone ever heard of these horrible results this man is going thru? On net - bad things are common, but this?? Would appreciate an answer as soon as possible
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
7/31/2008
Health Professional: Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN replied 9 years ago
Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN

Sporotrichosis is a fungal infection that is gotten from thorny plants and bushes. Lesions that end up forming on the hand or skin can be swabbed and cultured to make the diagnosis. There are medications to treat it and I don't know if your brother is taking any at this time. He should be on medication therapy at this time however if the infection has involved the bone then surgery is usually necessary. Please take a look at the website below for more detailed info to help you understand what is going on with your brother.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/sporotrichosis_gi.html

I hope all will be well with your brother.

Terry

Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
This information is too general as I have already been to the answer link myself. What I really wanted to know is how common is it that people lose their fingers as a result of this disease. I also wanted to know if people die from this as we were told this could be fatal. My brother can not be operated on as we were told that this would make the condition even worse.

Do you have any information on severe cases of this disease?

HelloCustomer

It would help if you could give me some more details about your brother. Who told you that his situation could be fatal and why? As you read, if the infection is in the bone or joint it is much more difficult to treat than if it is on the skin. What does the doctor want to do at this point to treat your brother? What medications is he currently using? Does he have any medical problems? Is he diabetic?

Thank you,

Terry

I don't have a lot of details at this time as he doesn't live near me. I am not asking for you to tell me more about my brother I just wanted to find out the most severe cases. Could you please answer the questions I posted previously as I gather more information about my brother's specific case?

As you know, I'm 70 and this is getting late. I must retire for the night. I will leave my window open waiting for your repsonse.

Any information about the severe cases would be helpful for me to compare and check into my brother's case. Thank you for your time.

Let me say this: This condition is treatable over a long period of time with special medications. If the patient has a suppressed immune system and therefore has difficulty fighting infection then this leads to serious problems. If the infection gets into the lymph system it can be potentially fatal only if bacterial superinfections cause sepsis which is generalized infection in the blood. These are the worst case scenarios. It depends on how far the infection has gone into his body and his immune system's ability to fight back, along with medication. This will determine his prognosis.

People recover from sporotrichosis, with treatment and when it is caught early. Something else may be going on medically in his case.

Terry

Terry
Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN