Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have sharp burning pain in the small toe of my left foot.

I have sharp burning pain in the small toe of my left foot. It comes and goes but is very painful if I hit it against something. I don''t believe it''s my shoes as I''m wearing mostly open toed as it is summer.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 9 years ago.

Is there any swelling or redness over the toe?

Any history of diabetes or hypertension?

Does it hurt to touch it?

Any similar complaints in the past or upper limbs?

Any fever?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is very minor swelling compared to small toe onright foot no history of diabeties i do take high blood pressure med. no fever. It seemes to come from no where lasts a couple hours when it does come i can hardly walk Then it goes away and it is fine and it does hurt to touch it.

From the symptoms the first impression seems to be a case of gout - which causes arthritis of the small joints and can present like this with acute pain and tenderness.

Other conditions could be non specific arthritis.
Other possibility is due to decreased blood supply as vessels narrow due to old age and hypertension.
Even neuronal damage due to hypertension can also lead to pain.

But the first impression looks like gout - where the uric acid in the body increases and they deposit in the joints of the body and cause intense inflammation and pain.It typically comes and goes.

The first step would be to take an X ray of the foot to see for the arthritic changes.Then a serum Uric acid level will confirm whether gout is present or not.
Painkillers like motrin in the meanwhile will help reduce the pain, but if it is gout then medicines like colchicine or allopurinol will be necessary.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Tharun's Post: I did reply I did not get an answer
If you see the post I answered it.But still I will repost my answer for your convenience.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun