Doctor Bruce
Doctor Bruce, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years experience: Board Certified in Internal Medicine, published author & health educator.
10837554

24 year old male has very red palms of hand and soles of ...

24 year old male has very red palms of hand and soles of feet. Not much discomfort in feet but hands, tingle, are very sensitive look they are sunburned but just on the palms and no rash pattern. Skin feels kind of dry and leathery- 6 daysHas seen doctor but just gave skin cream . This is weird and think body is trying to tell him something. Feels pulsating in hands.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Bruce replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

While red palms (the technical term is "palmar erythema") and soles can be normal and not mean anything serious, it might be useful if you could tell me
- does he have any chronic diseases, such as diabetes or hepatitis
- what type of work does he do
- what medications does he take
- how much alcohol does he drink in a week
- does he smoke

I look forward to hearing from you. With this information, I might be able to provide better guidance.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Bruce's Post: No diabetes although his grandmother had adult onset diabetes. No hepatitis but did have him update Hepatitis vaccine when he was seeing a Dr. who said he didn't think it was anything. Still bothering him. Dr. perscribed antifungal cream and something edlse 3 days ago but have not seen change. Runs an apparel businessout of own office and works in a bar with seedy customers: but only about 3 times a week. He probably drinks too much, mostly beer, but not everyday. No other drug use.Lupus also in family and lots of arthritis.
Hello again, and thank you for the response. Palmar erythema (red palms) in this situation is most likely not a serious condition, and I would think would be related to something he is in contact with (something he holds with his hands.) However, that doesn't explain the soles of his feet. The only serious condition that I know of that could cause this is liver dysfunction, which is why I asked about hepatitis. There are two common forms of chronic hepatitis - B and C - and they can cause liver damage. So can chronic ingestion of alcohol. It would, however, be unusual for the ONLY sign of liver damage to be palmar erythema...but it is technically possible.

You raise the issue of auto-immune disease (such as lupus) and again, while it is possible, if this is the only sign it would be unusual.

In sum, it might be worthwhile to have liver function tests checked to make sure there is no liver dysfunction. Otherwise, it probably requires a dermatologic specialist to look at the skin and see if there is a treatable condition. One thing that would be harmless until then is to be sure to use a moisturizing lotion to keep the hands from becoming dry.

Best of luck. I hope he feels better soon.