Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been having really bad swelling in my lower legs for

Customer Question
Hi, i have been having...
Hi, i have been having really bad swelling in my lower legs for the past few months, the right legs is always worse than the left and it really hurts to put pressure on it, i''ve been to the doctors and had blood tests to check liver/kidney function and both were normal. The doctors have said they dont know what it is. But now i have swelling in the fingers of my right hand. The swelling in the fingers, unlike that of the legs, does not disappear. It started in my baby finger and now has spread to the other fingers (excluding my tumb). I have not been subjected to anything that would cause an allergic reaction and i''m not on any medication. I havent been to a doctor about my fingers but with my previuos experiences with them they dont seem to know much, so can any one here help me please?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 day by:
7/17/2008
Health Professional: Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN replied 9 years ago
Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN

Hello mishaboo,

Could you please tell me how old you are.

Do you have any known medical/health problems?

What medications do you take?

Would you please tell me what foods you eat in a day.

Thanks, ***** ***** wait for your reply.

Terry

Hi I'm 20 years old (and female)
I have no known medical conditions or allergies and don't suffer from any other health problems.
I do not take any medication, I avoid even taking headache tablets such as advil.
I'm a vegan, so my diet consists of fresh fruit and vegetables, hemp seed,vegan cup'a soup and plain noodles. On a weekly basis I may consume some nuts also.I also consume mentos (which is a mint sweet)on a daily basis. I drink black tea, water and diet dilutable soft drinks such as Ribeana.

Hope this can help.

What is your main source of protein, or general source.

Are you urinating sufficient amounts?

Do you feel that the swelling is from water retention, any pressure?

Do you have any pain?

When was your last physical exam with bloodwork?

Thanks, ***** ***** await your reply.

Terry

My Main source of protein would be the hemp seed and nuts. Yes I'm urinating a good amount, I tend to pee a lot anyway (ever since I was little). I really wouldn't know if it was from water retention or not, but yes in my leg their is a lot of pressure and pain, especially on my shin bone. Yesterday for the first time in a few months even my thighs swelled up on me. Again the right leg was worse than the left.And this morning the swelling was gone in the legs (which happens) but my fingers are still swollen. Last physical exam would have been in April i think and i got bloods done then, everything was 'normal' according to them. (I say 'normal' because clearly something is causing me to swell)

There are many things that can cause swelling in your legs and fingers. Very common is sodium retention, some sort of too much salt in your food, but I don't get that feeling from your diet. Other reasons can be allergic reactions, heart failure, kidney problems. The fact that it comes and goes is baffling but it does happen. Try to keep a journal of foods and activity and see if you can pinpoint the cause. I think you need medical examination to be sure that it is not edema, which is fluid retention, because you would need a diuretic to rid yourself of the excess fluid. I don't think that an allergy would show up in these 2 random locations. I think you should also have current blood work done to determine what your electrolyte leves are, especially sodium and potassium.

Terry

Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Hi. After the last examination i had I was told to go on diuretics, but they didn't work at all, neither did anti-inflamatories. And the test results for kidney and liver function were perfect. And yes salt is not in any way an excess in my diet. And i've never been allergic to anything. I've had a blood test today and the results will be back on Monday. But again the new doctor i went to had no idea as to the cause of the swelling in either my legs or fingers. So i guess its a waiting game.
But thank you for your input.
Relist: I still need help.
I had blood tests taken last week as well as a urine analysis test conducted and I received the results today and everything was normal, But the swelling is still happening and my thighs were really swollen over the weekend. Can anyone suggest some form of treatment. I have now seen 3 doctors and had two blood tests and a urine analysis test (all test reslut's normal) and the doctors all say they don't know what's wrong!!

Hi Mishaboo,

I know you re-listed your question but I see that it has not been answered yet. I want to mention to you that because you are a vegan and eat a particular type of diet, I recommend that you see an alternative medicine doctor, or someone at a natural lifestyle clinic, because they will have an approach that may be more conducive to your lifestyle. You can get a referral at your local healthfood store or natural market or look on their bulletin boards for postings from such docs. I am a strong believer in this.

Take care,

Terry

Terry
Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN