How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Schwartz Your Own Question
Dr. James Schwartz
Dr. James Schwartz, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 225
Experience:  Over 45,000 patient visits in 13 years private practice.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. James Schwartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My right hand shakes when i try to write. My Father has the

Resolved Question:

My right hand shakes when i try to write. My Father has the same condition and his Mother had it. Is there any thing that i can do about this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. James Schwartz replied 9 years ago.


May I ask, how old are you? Did your father or grandmother have any diagnosis other than "familial tremor" or "benigh essential tremor"?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am 49 years old. As far as i know neither of them ever had it checked out.
Expert:  Dr. James Schwartz replied 9 years ago.

OK, thanks.

The most likely diagnosis is familial tremor, or benign essential tremor (same thing). This is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that other causes must be ruled out prior to arriving at it. However, it is not difficult to rule out other siagnoses, such as Parkinsons Disease, stroke, and others. A very good patient education page on this can be found at:

I hope this helps.


Dr. James Schwartz and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you