Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

I have a low HDL level of 38. Have been taking fish oil 2

I have a low HDL level of 38. Have been taking fish oil 2 times a day. Will this raise or lower the HDL level? Also do you have more recommendations?

HiCustomer

Thank you for your question. I am here to help.

With HDL (good) cholesterol, higher levels are better.

Low HDL cholesterol (less than 40 mg/dL for men, less than 50 mg/dL for women) puts you at higher risk for heart disease.

In the average man, HDL cholesterol levels range from 40 to 50 mg/dL.

An HDL cholesterol of 60 mg/dL or higher gives some protection against heart disease.

Smoking, being overweight and being sedentary can all result in lower HDL cholesterol.

To raise your HDL level, avoid tobacco smoke, maintain a healthy weight and get at least 30-60 minutes of physical activity more days than not.(CLicking the remote doesn't count)

Fish oil capsules will help raise your good ( HDL) and lower your Bad(LDL)

Other things that can hep are:

Garlic and increased fiber.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Wishes,

Macy