Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I was awakened at 3 am with excruciating pain in my right

I was awakened at 3 am with excruciating pain in my right eye. It felt like a piece of glass. I rinsed it with Restasis (I take it for dry eye and it has worked very well) and there was no relief. I tried hot wet washcloth presses, coldcream, water, and finally after two hours, Ibuprofin and a half a valium. I slept until 9. It hurt when I awoke. It is now 10 am and feels irritated but not painful. Any ide of what happened?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.

There is no way for me to tell exactly what happened to your eye. I strongly suggest that you visit the eye doctor for complete examination to be sure that you did not sustain a scratch or an irritation from the dryness. You might even need an antibiotic eye ointment as treatment. The optometrist or ophthalmologist has the equipment to visualize and diagnose eye problems such as yours.

Sincerely,

Terry