Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am a 46 yr old female who is woken from sleep by

Customer Question
incredible pain in the lower...
I am a 46 yr old female who is woken from sleep by incredible pain in the lower left side...once woken I need to move incredibly slowly to dissapate the pain...once asleep again - only to woken again...the pain seems to be between the end of my rib cage area and the top of my hip bone. the pain is unbearable. Once up for the day - no pain...only when asleep
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
7/1/2008
Health Professional: Dr. Das, MD, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Do you have any backpain?

Does the pain on the left side increase when you ar elying on your back or when you are lying on the left side? Never when you are lying on the right side?

Does the pain seem to be in the muscles of the abdomen or deeper inside?

Do you have any urinary problem?

Reply to DR.Das.MD's Post: Since childbirth - I've had some lower back ache and am careful with my back.

once the pain wakes me - it only stops once I stand and walk around...it happens if I'm lying on my right side or left side...but only occurs in my left side.

I honestly don't know if it is the muscle or deeper inside..no urinary issues

It sounds likely that you have a herniated or prolapsed spinal disc.

During pregnancy, a lot or pressure is put on the spinal bones since they have to take up the weight of the uterus as well as the growing baby. Increased curvature of the spine can cause herniated discs. Once the discs herniate, the problem can persist or even increase after childbirth.

The herniated disc puts pressure on the nerves to the abdomen causing pain. When you sleep, the muscles and ligaments relax, causing increase in the herniation. This increases the pain but when you are active, the muscles of the back become taut manage to support the spinal bones, preventing pressure on the nerves.

Please consult your doctor. Tests like Xray and MRI scan will be needed for a diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Reply to DR.Das.MD's Post: It's been 20 years since I've given birth...you believe that a herniated disc or prolapsed spinal disc arose over the last 3 months? as well that I only have pain on certain evenings and only ever on my left side?

I am scheduling a Dr.'s appt this week as it is driving me crazy.

I suspect that the backpain which you have had since the childbirth was an indication of a mild prolpase. But the prolapse has increased since the last 3 months - possibly due to some heavy activity like gardening for a long time, or hiking, or even lifting a heavy load.

And yes, pain due to prolapsed disc can occur at some time and not on others because a lot depends on the posture of the body and how well the muscles are supporting the spinal bones.

Please ask your doctor for an MRI and xray of the back at your appointment.

Sorry - I'm confused...the pain is NOT in my back. It is on my left side only...and again only when I'm sleeping...I don't sleep on my back but side to side. The pain is 1/2 way between my ribcage & hip bone...am I confused and not understanding your answer?

Pain from a herniated spinal disc may not necressarily be on the back.

Nerve fibres leave the spinal cord and curve around to the sides and front of the body. The following is a good diagram of the areas of supply of the spinal nerves as they curve around the body.

- http://www.thecompounder.com/images/dermatomeB.jpg

So spinal disc prolpase can cause pain along the sides of the body s well s in the front.

The site of pain will depend on which erves is compressed.

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor