How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 34744
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had constant back pain for over four years.

Resolved Question:

I have had constant back pain for over four years. from my mid back to my upper thighs and hips. Dr.s that I have see before have typically prescribed hydrocodone which helps. daily my pain is about a 6 or 7. The dr. that I have now put mr on hydrocodone, but not enough to really help that much. last week he had x-rays done on my back and let me know he would not be refilling my prescription. There are days the pain is so bad I have to miss work! what should I do? Talk to another dr. or what? I don''t want anyone thinking I just want "drugs? I just want to get what I know what woeks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


What are the other investigations done apart from x-ray?

Is there over-weight issue?

Are you diabetic?

Does your work entail weight lifting or prolonged standing?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: x-rays r essentially the only major tests aside from "does it hurt here? how about here"
I am not overweight, i am 5'11" and weigh 200#
Not a diabetic.
I am a waiter for a living so there is some lifting but not much. I do spend aloy f time on my feet but wear good shoes fot work
I also do not drink alcoholic beverages!
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


With a young fellow of lean built, your significant pain warrants, further investigations. The first step is to get an MRI for the diagnosis. Taking analgesic medications will not take you any far, if the cause of the pain is not treated. But for that, cause needs to be ascertained and imaging like MRI will be able to tell you whether it is a disc disease, spondylosis, any spinal cord related issue or muscle and ligaments of the back or anything which is because of the combination of these structures.

The treatment is commenced after that and will entail, braces, analgesics, deep electrotherapy, back care in activities of daily living, and physical therapy.

Please read these resources for the causes and exercises of the backache;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you