DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

My son was accidentally shot last night with a bb gun by his

My son was accidentally shot last night with a bb gun by his friend. We went to the emergency room at the hospital. The doctor found the bb deep in his thigh by x-ray. He said it was too deep to remove and we should probably just leave it as is. It is a 4.5 mm copper covered steel ball. What are your thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
A deeply lodged 4.5 mmm copper covered steel ball better be left as it is.
Any attempt at removal of this very small object from deep inside would involve major dissection & it is very very difficult to locate such a small object inside. The recovery from such a dissection would be prolonged & there are chances of infection.
Besides, the contents are only steel & copper & these would not cause any major problem.
The risks of removing seem to be more than the risks of leaving it behind.So, I agree with your doctor's decision to leave the BB behind.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: Is there a chance that the bb could "travel" through the body? What about infection from leaving it in? While the ER doc advised just letting it be, he did say we could pursue surgery.................
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
The BB, because of the heat associated with firing, may not be grossly contaminated. But, infection is a possibility. Besides, the BB would have transferred most of the microbes to the tissues through it passed & your son would need to take antibiotics anyway.

The other risks are migration which is often harmless. You can definitely pursue surgery, but I do not think it is necessary.

If infection or other reaction develops, surgery can be resorted to. But I would not have advised surgery in their absence .

For more information on this topic, please read this