How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JanelleRPA Your Own Question
JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning
Type Your Health Question Here...
JanelleRPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have spots that have appeared on my vagina lips and at the

Resolved Question:

I have brown spots that have appeared on my vagina lips and at the crease to my thigh. They are irregular in shape, some larger than others. They recently appeared this year. They look like dirt or something. They are slightly drier perhaps, but not really. They are not painful and do not itch, but are unsightly. I don't know where they came from or why they appeared, but I'm frightened. They also appear to be spreading or something. Is it something serious? I don't think it could be an STD, as I was checked before my current boyfriend (who is now my fiance). Of note: my boyfriend also got a discolored light brown spot that appeared above his groin area recently. I assumed it was just some random skin discolorations from sweating, but now I hope they aren't linked.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 9 years ago.

Dear Cricket,

I don't wish to alarm you but it's possible that the skin changes are genital warts - human papilloma virus - HPV. That's the most likely possibility and it should be evaluated. Genital warts are treatable but they need to be managed closely and carefully. You've probably heard that HPV is associated with cervical cancer. There are many differernt strains of HPV of which 4 are associated with cervical cancer. But changes on the cervix can also be detected (by pap smear) and treated - long before cancer occurs. If you are established with a GYN, that's the place to start. If you're not, you could be tested and treated at a family planning or planned parenthood agency in your area. Such agencies' fees are usually on a sliding scale based on income. I hope this guidance is helpful. Please feel welcome to write again if you have questions. Best wishes, JanelleRPAC

JanelleRPA and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you