DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I am trying for a baby for the past 12 months with no luck,

I am trying for a baby for the past 12 months with no luck, I am getting concerned as over the last 6 months my periods have been getting shorter and shorter and have now gone from bleeding for 5 - 6 days to bleeding for just one. There is allsorts going through my head could i be going through early menaupose ? What is the reason my periods are getting shorter and will this effect my chances of getting pregnant ?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Scanty ,light or infrequent menses , known as oligomenorrhea, can be due to severe stress, poor nutrition, anorexia nervosa, physical exertion,thyroid disorders, infection like tuberculosis of the genital tract, polycystic ovarian disease, perimenopause & hormonal disturbances.
You need to consult a gynecologist for evaluation, accurate diagnosis & treatment . Evaluation may inlcude hormonal levels, PAP smear & ultrasound of the pelvis. Serum FSH measurment can be helpful in diagnosing menopause. But this diagnosis should be considered after other diagnoses have been excluded.

Some of the causes of oligomenorrhea may adversely affect fertility. Investigation & treatment of this oligomenorrhea should be sought to improve your chances of conceiving.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: So do you advise i book in to see a doctor ?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
You need to consult a gynecologist for evaluation, accurate diagnosis & treatment .