Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have an abnormal growth under my skin one my face. I have

Customer Question
had this happen twice now...
I have an abnormal growth under my skin one my face. I have had this happen twice now and it has been the same both times. It has occurred both times in my face I''ll get an infection,looks like a zit, but after I pick it I can see a black dot right in the middle of the hole much bigger in diameter than my black whiskers. If I try to pick it out by squeezing it between my finger nails, it recedes back under my skin. I let it sit for a week to let the skin heel and went at it today with tweezers. I got hold of the end of it and pulled out the 1/4 black what I call stick like seed, followed by a white tail. It looks just like the one I had two years ago but it came from the opposite side of my face. I have pictures of it if anyone would like to see. The last one I let dry out and it split down the middle into two equal halves. Where it split it had a line going down the middle on both sides. This one too. Why am I growing these things? What is it? Are there other cases like this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
6/15/2008
Health Professional: Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse replied 9 years ago
Lani, BSN, RN

Can you upload the picture?

You can use the toolbar up - the tree icon to upload your picture.

Thanks..

Sorry it took me so long. If these pictures are not clear enough I can try to take some more. But I fear that it has dried out some.
Hello Ericwilsonart,

Thanks for uploading the picture. As I look at it, to me, the picture looks like a coarse and thick ingrown hair. The white part that looks like its tail, is its roots.

Ingrown hair as you know is a hair beneath the skin and is not growing outwards thus implied by its name "ingrown". It can appear as dark spot when you look at the skin. Such ingrown hair sometimes cause skin inflammation and is the cause of what they call "folliculitis". If you pluck it off, there is always a possibility that it will regrow. It is even said that plucking it can cause the hair to regrow more deeper.

This link has more details about an ingrown hair: http://mensfashion.about.com/od/groomingface/a/ingrownhairs.htm

Good luck!
This is not an ingrown hair. It does not have any of the same characteristics of an ingrown hair. I have had so many of those and still get them from shaving all the time. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. It is perhaps more than 4 times the diameter of a normal hair on my face. It is not painful at all. It is visible at the surface without skin covering it like an ingrown or in other words it is not under the skin. It grows straight out from the inside to the outside and stops at the surface. As i let the skin heal for a week like I said, and all my other hairs grew this one did not it stayed the same length. It did not grow back on itself like an ingrown does, or can. It was not ever painful at all like an ingrown. I would have not noticed it if it were not for the pimple like bump that it had created. Also when I was able to get a grip on the end with my tweezers and pull it out. I was able to do so without any resistance or pain whatsoever. It smoothly pulled right out. Again it was while under the skin completely straight not curved at all. With the end of the black side at the surface of the skin, not under. And it clearly did not grow over the coarse of about a week as I was watching it. Nothing like this picture...

Alright, I missed the description of the diameter of that pulled out growth. Looking at the picture once more, it looks like a pigmented dried sebum pulled out from an acne. The black material is the product after an infection has occured where the sebum became hard and discolored with black pigmentation and the white tail is the unchanged (in color) sebum.

Just keep the area clean. If it comes again, or if you are worried on it, the best thing is to see a dermatologist and take that material with you to be seen in actual.
I'm not satisfied with the explanation. The infection was minimal. Nothing like a sebum or an ingrown hair, or any kind of acne. In fact it is almost misleading and useless to even mention the infection part, for it was so minimal that I hardly noticed it visually and could barely feel a bump by touch and could not feel any pain whatsoever. Almost non existent. This stick like hard piece of whatever I would like to know is not a hair or hairs. and certainly not dried sebum. It comes out dry and hard as wood. Light in weight, hard and hollow sounding. Thank you for your time but I'm looking for an answer as to what it is. And I know it is out of the ordinary. Not some over sized blackhead with the usual lighter whiter tail end. This is 10 times the size and when it was removed by tweezers it left a noticable hole in my face it was so big and deep. Again came out without any pain. Virtually no infection. And no pain.
Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse