Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

MY RIGHT SHOULDER HURTS WHEN I BREATHE IN, IS THAT A ...

MY RIGHT SHOULDER HURTS WHEN I BREATHE IN, IS THAT A SYMPTOM FOR ANYTHING?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

The possible causes are:

Acid reflux : this seems the most likely cause. Such pains can be associated.

Chronic cholecystitis : the pain is usually associated with indigestion, flatulence and often with fever and vomiting. A pain from the gall bladder may be aggravated by deep breathing or sneezing as the diaphragm touches the gall bladder.

Pleurisy : An inflammation of the lining of the lungs. This is a likely cause but it is usually associated with some sort of cough and often sputum. Without this, it is less likely.

Costochondritis: If the pain is aggravated by touching, it could be due to costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage joint of the ribs.

You should discuss with yor doctor about these causes and ask for tests to rule them out, in particular cholecystitis.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: I do have a cough that I cant seem to get rid of and some mucus type stuff does come up every now and then, and I've had a fever of at least 100 degrees or higher since Saturday night, I've taken tylenol to reduce my fever and it will work for a couple of hours but it will come back again. Does any of those symptoms narrow it down?
Yes.

This could indicate a Pleurisy.

Look up here:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001371.htm

You should consult your doctor for tests to rule this out.

It could also be Chronic Cholecystitis.