How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16308
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I (male, 40) had sex (twice) with an older female (57) who

This answer was rated:

Hi, I (male, 40) had sex (twice) with an older female (57) who bleeds slightly during intercourse. Is there a risk on my side of an infection. If so, what should I do. Both of us have only one partner and in no risk of any other diseases.


Welcome to Just Answer. Many women who are past menopause will bleed during intercourse. With menopause comes a decrease in estrogen production which thins vaginal tissues and can cause bleeding from mechanical friction during intercourse. Bleeding is only a big concern if she should have an infection such as hepatitis or HIV. If you have both been tested and are monogamous, then there is not a problem.

She can ask her gynecologist about estrogen cream to apply to her vagina. The cream will improve the health of the vaginal and urethral tissue without causing the systemic effects of oral hormones. Healthy vaginal tissue should not bleed during intercourse. She may need a gyn checkup anyway, to make sure her cervix is healthy and has no polyps or erosions (another cause of vaginal bleeding during intercourse). Meanwhile, be sure to use plenty of lubricant, although even that may not be enough to prevent bleeding.

A. Schuyler, NP and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you