How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17828
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had flu/viral infection about 6 weeks ago. After the worst

Resolved Question:

I had flu/viral infection about 6 weeks ago. After the worst of the flu symptons had subsided I developed pain and swelling in the left knee. Two weeks later the right knee became swollen and painful also. Pain or aches seem to travel downwards from both knees. Could this be rheumatoid arthritis or osteo-arthritis?Or something else?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 years ago.


I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

what were the symptoms of your flu or viral infection?

Do you have any other disease?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: Hello,

The symptons of the viral infection were a runny/blocked nose,slight cough,aching joints, general malaise and lethargy.

The pain in my knees is not severe except when I kneel or sit crossed legged. I can walk normally with occasional aches and pains.

I don't have any other existing diagnosed disease.

Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for the information

Sometimes arthritis may occur after stomach infection or following genito urinary infection.

As none of these happened , so reactive arthritis is unlikely.

The distinction between rheumatoid & osteoarthritis may be difficult at this stage.

For diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis usually some blood tests are necessary.

You are to contact your doctor for blood tests, for osteoarthritis no such tests are available which is usually diagnosed by clinical examination & radiological examination.

For mild pain you may try otc analgesics like motrin or advil after food.

I hope this will help. If you need clarifications, please ask.
Press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question .Thank you
Dr. Saha and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you