How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have cervical dystonia and am looking form a quailfied

This answer was rated:

I have cervical dystonia and am looking form a quailfied neurosurgeon in Canada to perform peripheral denervation. The only prior known surgeon Dr Bouvier of Montreal has retired. Unfortunately the dystonia societies of Canada and the US do not have any information and my neurologist is unaware of any current practicioner of this procedure. Any information would be most helpful. IanK
The Neurosurgery Department at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Belzberg, does this procedure, and has written a paper in the medical journals about the procedure, which is also known as "The Bertrand Procedure".

The Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minnesota has a group that have also published a paper describing their 168 cases of peripheral denervation for spasmotic torticollis.

In terms of Canada, the University of Toronto has a large neurosurgery program, and it would be worth investigating if they have done the procedures there as well. Unfortunately, I cannot find any specific practicioner that has published papers from Canada on the subject (that presumably would have experience with the surgery).
Dr. Mark and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
U of Toronto does not have a hospital. Toronto Western Hospital has an extensive movement disorder clinic but does not do denervation. Is this the hospital you were referring to?
I meant this group that is academically based out of the University of Toronto.

It appears they operate out of four different hospitals:
St Michael’s, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, and The Toronto Western Hospital.
Dr. Mark and other Health Specialists are ready to help you