Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had an oral pill abortion in France in Nov 07.

I had an oral pill abortion in France in Nov 07. Apon having no period for five months I went to the Doctor again and they said the abortion was incomplete. So I had to have a surgical abortion again in Italy. They thought I may have had cancer but the test proved negative. Two weeks after the abortion I went back for a check up, I was no longer pregnant but I was still bleeding. They thought it was an infection and perscribed me Nimesulide and Cloramenicolo. Since these drugs have now run out I am having severe pain about one inch below my belly button. The pain comes on slowly and kicks in after around three hours when it becomes very painful. Once it reaches this point it comes in two minute intervals each lasting for around thirty seconds. This had happened twice in the last week. It is so painful that I have taken one Zopiclone to sleep through the pain and it didn''t work until after the pain had subsided (After around two hours). There is no more blood but a lite rusty discharge
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

Greetings.

A pain of this severity indicates or points towards infection. There may be associated product of conception or retained clot associated with the infection. You would need an ultrasound examination to see the uterus and adenexa (get it repeated, if they were done earlier). If your uterus is not empty, you would again need a dilatation and evacuation (D & C), since infection cannot be eradicated or no antibiotics would work if there is something retained in uterus. But since at present, you don't have any bleeding, chance of anything in uterus is quite less and possibility of the infection is predominant. So an antibiotic prescription would be the call.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun