How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Charles Your Own Question
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 7192
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Charles is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband noticed a lump at the top of his rib cage, ...

Resolved Question:

My husband noticed a lump at the top of his rib cage, possibly located at the base of his sternum. It is hard, almost feeling like a bone, but when I pushed on it, I thought I felt something slightly "mushy", but it more feels like a bone. We''ve never noticed this before. Is this something to get checked out or to worry about?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 9 years ago.


Firstly he need a simple chest X-ray ,just to see if it is of a bony origin or not.If there is pain,it almost always indicates that there is an inflammation process going on. Yes,he should get it checked by the doctor.Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may be done.In this technique, a thin, hollow needle is inserted into the mass/lump to extract cells that will be examined under a microscope. based on this the exact diagnosis can be made.




Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is this something that can be normal or what could a lump in that area be caused from or what could it be
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 9 years ago.

The various possibilities are:sebaceous cyst,haematoma,ganglion,callus formation malignancy,some types of infection or inflammation.The exact diagnosis can only be made after clinical examination by the doctor & FNAC as required.

Hope my answers had helped.

Dr. Charles and 6 other Health Specialists are ready to help you