DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

This is more of a gynecological type question. I''m 22 years

Hi this is more of a gynecological type question. I''m 22 years old and I''m a female. About 7 or 8 months ago I noticed a change inside my vagina. Most of the skin is a normal pink or red but there are certain parts that are grayish/black. Those parts tend to be itchy and have a pungent almost fishy type odor. I recently stopped taking antibiotics but I was on them for about 4-5 years to help my acne. The inside of my vagina does not have any open sores, blisters, or unusual bumps. I am just concerned about the color change. Also I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 2 years and only had sex once prior to this relationship and it was with full protection. I am worried this is something bad like an STD or cancer but what do you think it could be?? Is it possible it''s just a really bad infection from long term use of antibiotics and never being treated for it?? Please offer any advice!! Thank You!
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Colour change, itching & a pungent almost fishy type odor suggest possiblity of a vaginal infection. Such infection may be acquired by the sexual route, but it can also be due to imbalance of bacterial flora in the vagina due to antibiotic use.
You need to consult a gynecologist for evaluation & treatment. Evaluation may include local swabs , PAP smear besides internal exam. Treatment may include vaginal antibiotic pessaries or oral antibiotics.
For more information, please read this

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank You!!! I know I need to see a doctor I've been very scared to go since it's such an uncomfortable situation it's not like going to the dentist. Anyway, the darkened areas would be most likely associated with an infection?? That is what i'm most concerned about but that is what I thought myself.
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Your symptoms are suggestive of infection.
This is a health problem like all other health problems & needs to be seen that way.
This is a very common problem & there is nothinmg to be ashamed of.
Doctors are trained to keep the information confidential & respect patient's privacy & concerns.
Do not hesitate to consult a gynecologist. The diagnosis cannot be confirmed without physical exam & tests.