DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

everytime I blow my nose I have nothing but blood clots ...

everytime I blow my nose I have nothing but blood clots coming out is this anything to be concerned with?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Do not blow nose while you are having blood clots in nose. This would only increase the bleeding.
Instead sit down leaning forward, breath by mouth & squeeze the soft portion of nose for 5minutes. Check for stoppage of bleeding after 5 min.Applying ice to bridge of nose also helps control bleeding.
If the bleeding does not stop within 20 min or you keep loosing clots, please go to the ER immediately for control of bleeding.

For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Iam not having nose bleeds. It's only when I blow my nose anytime during the day or night. I feel as if my nose is stuff and then I blow and out comes many blood clots. Should I be concerned
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Blood clots form after bleeding. You must be having a small amount of bleeding /slow bleeding from the nose that goes undetected & stops because the blood clots & seals the broken blood vessel. When you blow your nose, the blood clot dislodges & the vessel bleeds again forming another blood clot & this cycle continues.

With such persistent bleeding, you should be concerned & you should consult a physician or ear nose throat specialist for evaluation & treatment.Evaluation may include blood work & endoscopy of nose.Treatment may include nasal packing or cauterization of the bleeding vessel with silver nitrate.