How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Evans Your Own Question
Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Evans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Results MRI L5-S1 mild facet arthropathy; L4-5 Min.

This answer was rated:

Results MRI: L5-S1 mild facet arthropathy; L4-5 Min. circumferential bulge, mild to moderate facet & dorsal ligamentous hypertrophy; L3-4 very mild circum. bulge. Very mild dengen. at L3-4 and L4-5. So why my bad back pain? Sciatica? MD says "Live with it" NO thanks. Suggestions? Need MRI professional to interpret results?

The results are quite clear, you do have a bad back. Also, you do not need surgery for this since the effects are not very severe.

However, you do need treatment for this. You cannot just 'live through it'.

There are a number of options to keep the pain of a bad back under control:

Physical exercise: Physical exercise is undoubtedly the most important. You will have to do some regular exercises for your back; this is usually a very successful method. Link

Heat compresses: Heat compresses either superficially with a warm heat pack, or deep heat with ultrasound therapy, should be tried.

Medications: The first line of pain control drugs is the NSAIDS. In severe pain however, not controlled by NSAIDS, narcotic analgesics like Vicodin should be used. You should talk with your doctors regarding use of narcotic analgesics. Drugs like phenytoin, carbamazepine, or tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline are often used in combination with such drugs for more deeper pain control.

Steroids: steroid injections may be given at the site .

Back support: A lumbar belt worn regularly by itself often helps to relieve the nerves. Braces, splints, orthopaedic shoes may be needed.

Lumbar traction: This is another option that you should discuss with your neurosurgeon. Traction often helps to relieve the pain making surgery unnecessary.

Pain pump: for chronic intractable pain, a constant source of analgesic drugs can be fed into the spine at the nerve roots. This is also a very effective method.


General measures like a firm mattress for sleeping, avoiding bending the waist forward, avoiding lifting heavy weights, should be practiced. Other measures may include vocational counseling, occupational therapy, etc.

In my opinion, for you, physical exercises, Lumbar belt, medications and occasionally steroid injections if the pain is too severe will be sufficient to give you a healthy life. You should consult your doctor for these options.

You may consult the links below for more info:

You may consult the link below to see some exercises:


I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.


Dr. D. Evans and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you