Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What can I do if my son poked his eye?

My son accidentally poked his...

My son accidentally poked his finger in my eye last Tuesday. I saw a doc the day of the injury who prescribed Tobradex. The following day I saw another Ophthalmologist who prescribed Vigamox, Systane eye drops and Lacralube at night. I saw a surgeon yesterday who prescribed Nevanac muro 128 drops during day and ointment at night.

I had perfectly clear vision before this injury 8 days ago. Now things are blurry and still distorted. It's giving me a headache and my other eye hurts because it is trying to compensate for the left one. I'm nauseated and dizzy because of the blurred vision. Will my eye clear up with the muro and my vision be restored. Everything is so blurry. I'm so upset because everything was so clear before. Is it possible for it to still heal and how long does it usually take.

5/21/2008
Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor

Hi, I am an Ophthalmologist and would like to help.

The finger poke to your eye must ave caused an injury to the cornea (black portion) of the eye, which is commonest to get injured. The cornea usually heals by itself, but usually an antibiotic eye drop or ointment is given to speed and healing and prevent any infection.

The blurring of vision and the strain is due to-

• The epithelium on the cornea heals the wound in the first 48 hours, but there is a mild swelling or edema, which takes sometimes 10-15 days to go away.
  • Dryness occurs in the eye due to the use of multiple eye drops - as in your case you were given antibiotic eye drops, antibiotic eye ointment and an anti-fungal eye drop.

As long as there is no pain or redness in the injured eye, you symptoms should slowly resolve. The treatment for you is to use lubricating eye drops like genteal (available OTC). Also using genteal eye get (available OTC in a tube) before going to sleep will also help. But if still after the treatment there is no improvement or there is worsening then you need to consult an Ophthalmologist because sometimes the healed epithelium on the cornea is loose and needs to scraped off.

Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor

I forgot to mention in the previous question that both Ophthalmologist and the surgeon stated there is fluid on the cornea at the site where the abrasion has healed. Will the muro 128 draw it out and how long do I have to wait before they can do surgery if it doesn't improve? Will I be able to regain my "normal" clear vision? How long? I'm sorry this is just so upsetting!!!

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)

If the corneal abrasion has healed, what you are dealing with at this point is simply corneal edema which results from the endothelial cell layer not functioning properly. You see, the cornea has 5 layers, you scratched the top layer but the shock of the injury stunned the inner most layer of the cornea, called the endothelium. This layer normally pumps fluid out of the cornea, so at this point corneal edema persists due to endothelial dysfunction.

The muro is simply salt solution which helps draw fluid away. It is a band aid type of treatment, not really curative. In someone your age, almost always the endothelium will regain its function after several weeks. Sometimes, we use a little Prednosilone 1% drops to help with this, and it is safe to do so once the abrasion heals. At your next visit, consider mentioning this and see if the doc feels this will benefit you.

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)

Hi!

Until two weeks ago I had crystal clear 20/20 vision in both my eyes. Well, I may have had a slight astigmatism, but I could see clear and far. On Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 8:30 a.m. my 3 year old son accidentally poked me in the eye as I was positioning him in his car seat. We were headed out of town for a day trip. About an hour and a half down the road I had to stop at a Wal-Mart to see the Ophthalmologist. He stated the cornea was scratched in the middle with an upward motion. Which is exactly how my son's finger did as he poked in the center and went up as he continued to raise his hand.The ophthalmologist prescribed Tobradex, and away we went on our trip. I was miserable the entire day. My eye hurt and watered. I was dizzy and nauseated. It seemed like the right eye was trying to compensate for the injured left eye. Everything was blurry.

The next morning, I went immediately to a local ophthamologist who confirmed my cornea had an abrasion. He prescribed Vigamox because he said I shouldn't use an antibiotic with a steroid. He also gave me Systane lubricating drops for the dryness durning the day. He also told me to use lacra lube at night. I was miserable for the next four days. I was still nauseated and dizzy from my eyes trying to adjust to each other. The injured left eye remained blurry (like looking through a drop of water). Everything looked shadowed and distorted.

On Monday, May 19 I returned to his office and he stated the abrasion had healed but there was fluid behind the abrasion. This explained the blurriness and the distortion I see through my left eye. He also stated we need to be on the lookout for scar tissue.

Unsatisfied with his answer, I made and appointment Monday afternoon with a local eye surgeon. Good thing I did!!! I actually saw the ophthalmologist in his office who did a series of test and stated my eye healed "like a crinkled piece of Saran Wrap" and surgery may be required to smooth it out. He also saw the remaining fluid on the cornea. I told him how nauseated and dizzy I was and how tired and strained both of my eyes were. He prescribed Muro 128 drops at night and and Systane lubricating drops during the day.

The next morning I woke up and felt like I had a migraine. My head hurt. My eyes hurt and I had lost some of my lower (looking down) peripheral vision. When I tried to stand up I was dizzy and disoriented. I called the surgeons office again and they set an appointment up with the surgeon that day. The surgeon looked in my eyes and confirmed the eye did have fluid but stated it had healed properly. He prescribed Muro 128 drops every couple of hours during the day Nevanac drops every couple of hours until the 1.5 ml bottle was gone and Muro 128 ointment at night. He also suggested a 2 hour nap during the day and atleast 8 hours of sleep at night.

It has been 14 days now since the injury. I've been following the doctors orders. My up close vision is better, but anything beyond 3 or 4 feet is still blurry. My eyes are tired and strained. I have a bad headache every day. I sometimes feel cross eyed. I still feel dizzy and nauseated at times--especially if I have to turn my head or look up real fast my eyes have a hard time adjusting and focusing.

My next appointment is on June 02, 2008 to discuss the healing, improvement (if any), and surgery if necessary. Will you all please share your personal experiences and/or opinions with me. I have a few questions. Will my "clear" vision return? If so, when? Can Lasek surgery repair or correct the damage from the injury? Should I get glasses to help me see? I just want to see normal again. The way I did before the injury. Do you all have any suggestions?

Hello again

at this point, is there still significant pain? Has anything been done to correct the wrinkles?

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)