Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I get a sort of crust in my left ear. It comes back after

Customer Question

I get a white sort of crust in my left ear. It comes back after maybe two hours. I do have Seborrheic dermatitus on my scalp.Are the two related? If not what is causing this and how do I get rid of it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
it is related to seborrheic dermatitis.

Flakes from seborrheic dermatitis can fall on the ears, forehead, etc. causing a slight irritation of the skin which can present like this.

You can look up here for seborrheic dermatitis:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2703.html

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Because I keep the seborrheic dermatitis under control and see no visible flakes,I disagree with the answer.
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

It is possible to have eczema affecting the ear canal. Initial treatment would be to moisturize with almond oil however if the problem is severe then steroid ear drops may be necessary however you would need an ear examination from a doctor or ENT for exact diagnosis.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Since asking the question a friend suggested I use baby oil. After 1 treatment the problem is significantly better.
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the information, the baby oil will do the same job as the almond oil. Once the initial problem has settled down then you can use the oil once or twice a week to keep the ear under control. However you should have the ear inspected to ensure that there is no perforation of the eardrum before using the oil long term.

regards