DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I get occasional slight pain on my left side under my chest

Customer Question

I get occasional slight pain on my left side under my chest near heart. Usually induced by excercise. I have had many tests all which come back excellent. Wondering what this could be?
Thanks,
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Please answer a few questions--

Is the pain relieved with rest?

Do you have breathlessness or cough?

Is there pain on touching or pressing the painful area?

Is there any pain on deep breathing, coughing, sneezing?

What tests have been done?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: pain is relieved with rest. And jogging 1-2 times seems to help with the heart. Coffee and creatine really irritate my heart and have had to discontinue. no breathlessness or cough. no pain with deep breathing. Pain occasionally comes when I'm weight lifting.
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer
I apologise for the delay in answering.
Chest x-ray EKG, stress test would have picked up heart disease.
I think this could be chest pain arising from the muscles of the chest. This should however, be confirmed by consultaing a physician.This muscular pain should subside with avoiding strenous activity or modifying it so that there is less strain on the chest muscles. Taking tylenol & applying hot water fometation to the painful area would help.
Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: Thanks for your response, I've thought about that before if it could be my chest muscles. However, last year I had 2 episodes of what I believe to be angina. Really severe chest pain, dizziness, and skin was pale. I had a doctor's appointment the day I had the episode. Doctor thought it was angina. I felt like I was going to pass out in the office and needed a ride there. I also went to a cardiologist. They both recommended a stress test or heart cath. I didnt realize how expensive the stress test was of 2,000. I went ahead and paid it. I received status of normal. I've been holding off on the heart cath even though its thought to be very accurate in determing diagnosis. Its difficult due to having to meet my deductible of 2000 more. I wonder if there are any other tests I can take which are not as expensive. I have since lost 20 pounds, eat much better, and take no more supplements like creatine or anything with caffeine. These 2 really seem to aggrivate whatever this condition is I have. I have noticed no more angina episodes, and feel alot better but do occasionally get some minor discomfort under the chest specifically on the left side. My belief is that I have a artery or arteries that could be clogged. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
The gold standard for diagnosis of ischemic heart disease is coronary angiography by catheterisation. The other tests besides EKG, echo, stress test & angiography are radionuclide engiogram & thallium exercise scan.
I am unable to provide you information on the cost of these procedures. I apologise for that.
For more information, please read this.