Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Can you get pregnant 1 to 5 days before the period starts?

If you have unprotected sex 1-5 days before your period and then your period arrives on the expected day and is normal, could you still be pregnant? If you have unprotected sex about 10 days before your expected period and you take a first response test the day before your expected period and your results are negative, will the results be accurate? If you get your period right after you get a negative result, can you be assured not to be pregnant?

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

When was your last normal period, how long did it last?

When did you have unprotected intercourse?

When did you use the pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

My period was on time last month and it was normal. My question has to do with my period that is coming.
I had unprotected sex on May 6th, and my period is due on May 25th. I have not used the test yet.
If you have unprotected sex 1-5 days before your period and you period comes on time could you still be pregnant?

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

If the period is normal and you had intercourse only 5 days before period then risk of pregnancy is slim, but not zero.

If you had intercourse 10 to 16 days after your last period, then this is high risk of pregnancy.

Having intercourse on 6th May, with next period not due to 25th means that this was about 4 or 5 days before your most fertile time so again risk of pregnancy is low but not zero.

You would have to wait to test until at least 25th May and it is still possible to get false negatives for at least 7 days after this.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

What if I take the test on May 25th (negative results) and my period comes on the May 25th or 26th, could I still be pregnant?

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

If the pregnancy test is negative on 25th, then we cannot be sure. But if you have a normal heavy period lasting 4-6 days then I would say that pregnancy is very unlikely.

If the bleeding was very light or did not last long, then I would suggest redoing the pregnant test 5-7 days after that.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
How many days after unprotected sex should you take a pregnancy test to be certain you are not pregnant?
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

It is at least two weeks, and often longer so we usually say the first day of the missed period as a starting point.

Do you use birth control pills?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Yes, I am still using birth control. I am just uncertain whether or not I took my pill on the 5th of May. I have taken it regularly before and after the 5th of May. I have not been using a condom.
If my period comes on the 25th and it is normal is it safe to say I am not pregnant?

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Yes, if you only missed one pill and it was not the first tablet of the month then it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant. So a normal bleed and a negative test will be reassuring in that regard.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Will I get an accurate pregnancy test result if I take the test a day before my period is expected?

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

We can't guarantee accuracy of pregnancy tests within the first couple of weeks. But when you are on birth control then you should not ovulate and your periods are withdrawal bleeds rather than menstrual cycle due to lack of pregnancy.

If you only missed one pill, then you are at very small risk of pregnancy so try not to worry and do the pregnancy test just for reassurance.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

What if I am unsure if I took the pill on May 5th (6th pill in the pack)and May 12th (13th pill in the pack). Is there a big chance that I could be pregnant? I have been taking the pill for many years now. I am on Trinordiol and it has 21 pills in it. I am not ready to have a baby.

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

We normally say that if you take the pill for 7 days then you are protected. Although you may have missed two tablets, they were separated by 7 days so the chance of pregnancy is really not that high.

Try not to worry for the next week, ask your doctor to run a blood test on 25th May if you want an accurate test and do not want to wait to repeat a pregnancy test.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

If I choose to take a home pregnancy test on the 25th, when should I take the next home pregnancy test for accuracy?
If my period comes on the 25th or 26th how long after my period is finished should I take a home pregnancy test?

Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Repeat a pregnancy test 4-7 days after the first. If your period comes in the 25th or 26th then it does not matter when you take the test because you are highly unlikely to be pregnant, but you could wait till 28th then test at that point. If you have a normal or heavy period on 25th then this means the lining is shed and the chance of pregnancy is very very low.