Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I need a serious answer to the following question. all of a…

Customer Question
Hi i need a serious...
Hi i need a serious answer to the following question. all of a sudden i lost my conscience, the little voice in your head that tells you to do stuff. I also lost my mental calendar. Get confused alot. and poor long and short memory. I feel like my brain is not attached to my head. i have had blurry vision. I have been to a zillion doctors. Blood work is coming out PERFECT and 2 CTs of head was NEG and MRI with Contrast and w/out NEG. EEG Normal VEP Test Normal. Endoscopy found hiatal hernia and GERD.. Constant Coated Tongue. This is going to sound weird but i cannot form thoughts and dont have that feeling in my forehead that you get when you are processing information. Does ANYONE know what the heck is going on with me. Ihave been to 2 Nuros and a Nuro optmologist. It all started in November when i had this really bad screaming attack. felt outside of body jumped up screamed and was numb in wrists and felt like my spirit was taken since then not right declining memory. short/long
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Health
5/14/2008
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 10 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)

HelloCustomer

I think I have talked to you in the past, but I must admit that I don't remember exactly what for, I am thinking though that it was regarding anxiety, but not as severe as what you are now describing.

What do you mean when you say you have lost the little voice, conscience? Normally that means that a person has no guilt, so for example might steal or do things against the law, but not care. I'm not so sure that that is what you mean. You don't mention that you have done anything illegal or unethical.

You also say you have lost you mental calendar. This is not a term that I have heard before. Do you mean you are not able to keep track of they days?

Confusion is another sign of a mental disturbance. Don't be embarrased or ashamed. Some of the most creative people have problems like this, and explian things in a similar way as youl Have you been to a psychiatrist? you may need medication to help you feel "more together" instead of so detached sounding. This is not always a bad thing. It could prevent further deterioration.

How are you doing now in your life? Are you able to hold a job down?

You said you wanted some one to be honest with you. I believe you need to see a psychiatrist for medication. There are several medications that help with the type of symptoms that you are explaining. There are a lot of new medications that have much less side effects than the older medications used to, so please do not be afraid.

As far as your coated tongue, I remember talking to you about this in the past. Did you ever try any medication for thrush? There is a medication called Nystatin that I'm pretty sure requires a prescription. You swish it around in your mouth a few times per day and it usually clears up the problem. Additionally eating yogurt and taking acidophyllus capsules can help with this problem.

If you have other questions for me please let me know, i honestly would like to see you get some help, it sounds like you have been uncomfortable for too long, and you do not need to be.

Susan

yep cannot keeep track of days. it is very weird...

Well, please feel free to talk to me about this, but i do think that it is time you saw a psychiatrist and got on a small doseage of a medication such as seroquel or abilify and see if that helps you feel better. This can keep you functioning in the world as a regular person. If you put it off too long, sometimes you are not able to get as good results from the medications as you can when you start them at a younger age. These medications have really resulted in near miracle turn arounds for the better for some individuals.

Susan

well i mean like i cannot say a week from monday this or last week that. everything i do in a day is gone. it leaves me itis like my brain is not a part of me and my mind is NOT racing. my long and short term memory is gone. All of a sudden it started deteriating. My vision went blurry too i think i told you. I found out i had a mold problem in my house and have not been right since ayear after i moved in there after my first attack.

Have you tried taking a small dose of a neuroleptic medication? My suggestions would be to give that a try, see a psychiatrist and follow there recommendations for at least 3 months. If that dosn't work, then you would know to pursue other things. As you said you have already tried treating the mold problem, right?

the thing i do not like about meds is the side effects.. i have never lost time completly before.. it is really weird. i feel outside my body and dont feel real. my vision is worse. should not be i have xanax.. but it is like what i do in a day, leaves me after i do it. just things do not register.........

Xanax is well noted for causing memory loss. That is a side effect of Xanax. What side effects are you having with the neuroleptics, and which ones have you tried? Perhaps you need to take benadryl at night for the side effects, or you need to try a different one, or a different dose. There are several different medications to try as well. Maybe you have don't all those things? I don't know. But again, a side effect of Xanax is short term memory loss.

the lsst time i took a xanax was in january before i borded an airplane i take them as needed...

I was actually asking which neuroleptics have you tried. I was asking because a lot of your symptoms sound like those that neuroleptics can help with. When you don't have enough dopamine you can have memory problems and also something similar called "thought blocking". I was just wondering if you had ever tried any, and is so, which ones, and for how long. It is too bad, but with a lot of these medications you have to try several different ones before you find the right one that works for you. It may be that none work, but it is worth a try.

(I thought you were saying that you were taking xanax)

well susan, i only take xanx as needed. I have not tried any neruoloptics yet... i had a urine sample checked for all the chemicals in my brain. if any are off the urine will show it. i feel like i am not real. also, with my vision, i walked though dust/mold spores and all of a sudden, my eyes wentblurry and numb. have trouble reading, before that 20/20 my eye doc says my eyes checked out fine.. i give up... lol... all these symotoms and no answers. i see what you are saying though.. you think mold could have altered my brain
No, I think you may have a mental illness, and these things are delusions, or tricks of your brain, and that if you were to try a neuroleptic, all the symptoms might go away and you would be okay. You said, you wanted honestly, and I am. It could be from trauma, it could be genetic, but I doubt the mold caused it. At some point, you should try a neuroleptic or two, and see if one works for you. That is what I think.
hey i appreciate your honesty honey, let me just ask you one last thing, this all started in november when all of a sudden i got a back spasm then i felt a change in mybody and my arms got numb and tingley and legs. i felt outside my body and then i jumped up and screamed and screamed again. sine then Memory decline. vision problems which were PERFECT before hand. 5 days later same attack.. DO you think i had a TIA?? i felt like i was going toblack out in the car when i was driving had same attacks in car. thanks hun.. btw, u are cute... hehe

Thank you for the complement.

This could also be brought on by severe anxiety (the symptoms you describe). Do you remember any thing stressful happening at that time or in the days before this happened?

If you had a TIA, you would most likely have other symptoms, such as a clotting disorder or high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, such symptoms that go along with a TIA.You are a little young for that, although it is possible.

I still think the way you explain many things that this sounds possibly like a brain chemical disorder, and would be something worth you checking for. If you found that a psychotrophic or neuroleptic type drugs did not help you, then that would rule out that as the problem.

I sure it must be very frustrating for you. I hope you find the right solution soon. Keep us updated, because it will be good to know what helps you.

Susan

oh yeh during the first attack that i described after i took the xanax 0.25 it made the attack worse and i could not remember who my dad was, regarding the TIA wouldnt have something showed in all the ct mri and blood work that i had done??
a TIA would have shown up in all the blood work. Because a TIA is transient it wouldn't necessarily show up on a CT or MRI, but you would have had some blood abnormalities, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease indicators. Occassionally Xanax will make symptoms worse, usually either in elderly alzhiemer - makes them even more confused and in people with Bipolar - it will make them more manic. Not that you have either of those two disorders. Do you have much difficulty sleeping at night? Do you ever go for several days without sleeping?
Susan
here is the whole thing, why did brain fog start the day after and my memory got worse.. short moving into long term. then 5 days later same attack. a couple of weeks later, i started screaming at night, my body got very heavy and i was disorented. then a week later i got a screaming attack again. Then again in a car. then all of a sudden i started loosing time. like i remembered what i did but it felt like last week and i was able to plan ahead know what i was saying form thoughts and had the voice in my head on what to say next. and the little voice was not gone. Now i have completly lost time, am not concentrating. i have a complete loss of time dont know one day to the next. cannot think ahead or back. My mind feels as if it is blank. nothing stores at all. all my baseball knowledge is gone and everything i learned in school my mind is not racing as i said. The reason why i brought up mold was cause before i moved i was fine. my neuro opt said i had aslight stroke which my other RN that i know disagreed when i told her what he said. cause my vision was fine before i went to fla then i was watching tv and all of a sudden my left eye started to strain and the colors on the TV went in and out and become blurred. i was sensitive to light. and really has not cleared up. this is someone with PERFECCT LASIK vision in 2001 and now i have trouble reading yet the docs say eyes are fine... dont get it.... thanks.. so since u live in GA have u been to savannah for marti gras on st patricks day? i got a tattoo there a couple of years back.. u have any.. hehe
no probs sleeping i sleep with no problem. i sm just scared of the constant confusion and constantly feel outside mybody wheni wake up and it is not like me driving feel like nothing is connected. I see a psyc on reg basis

What does your psychiatrist think?

sorry for the ramble, she thinks (the RN) it is anxiety disorder and depression forming the derealization and disconnection. i told her that i am trying the holistic approch first before meds...

3 glutamine 850 mgs/morning and night
2 multi plex vitmans
3 fish oils
4 tabs of DMG
and one scoop of powder drink

I hope it works for you, but I think at some point, you will need to try an antipsychotic, if the other things arn't working. I have worked around these disorders for a long time, and especially if it is keeping you from participating in life. You haven't really mentioned if this is keeping you from working, relationships, and that sort of thing, that most people want in life. You can always take the supplements, and if that dosn't work, take a small dosage of antipsychotic and see if all the odd sensations go away. It is helpful for many people, but because or stigma, and misconceptions many people are hesitant to try this, or they have had a bad experience with side effects. If side effects are the problem, then you should report them immediately so either benadryl or cogentin can be given. If the medications don't work, then we are back to the same place, but with no harm done.

i think you are probably right, the thing that is holding me back is that everyone i know who is on some antipsychotic drug is a zombie.. the disconnection is do to the derealization and depersonization so that scares me as well as some side effects of more blurred vision then i have. no relationships, i dont have a desire to meet anyone or work its like i dont know what to say anymore to women or forgot everything that i learned in school i agree, before this started i was dating and trying to find a great job in my field to answer your questions. maybe that bad attacks did mess the chemicals up in my brain. i had an eeg too which was normal. umm, so never answered my ques been to mardi gra in savannah and any tattoos??

Then, you may not know about the people that are on the medications that are not like "zombies", because there are many people that don't have that effect. That is probably more part of their disorder, or they are on too high of a dose, or this was more commonly seen in the 70's and 80's and until the late 90's when the better medications with less side effects came out.

As far as your questions, No, and no, but I've been to Savannah at another time of year. It is a beaufiful place, if you like old buildings, which I do. (I'm older than the tatoo generation!)

But also as to what you are saying, those things can change for you. I have seen remarkable changes in people. That is why I feel strongly about this and hope that at some point you take a chance. Just try to really work with your doctor and let them know you want special attention so that you do not become like a 'zombie'. You need to enjoy life, and it is sad to see this happen to someone like you, who obviously has so much potential. But you will still have to give yourself time, because no change will come immediately, it can take a few years to recover from some of what you are already probably missing.

well considering i was born 3 months early and considered a "miracle baby" back in 76 and was in hospital for 6 months had an illiostomy and been though alot but came though okay. been perfectly normal up until that point. then bang it is like it changed me and my personality

Well we all have our problems, it is just that people don't always talk about them. I can tell you have a lot of really good things going for you, and often these types of problems do start around this age in men, they start younger in women. I think your writing ability and ability to communicate is a very good sign, and I think things will work out for you, it just takes time, that we can not control, before the right answer comes some times. I'm sure you will find it.

yep thanks and its like my mind is blank and not moving and not forming thoughts i am just typing away and does not feel real.....
Well, you have been doing a good job anyway, so hopefully that will be comforting to you to know, that sometimes even when things don't feel real, you are being very real.
thanks, ***** ***** thing is my mind has stopped feel empty and not knowing what day it is and what i did today, when you wake up and totally loosing TIME........ that is the scariest along with the memory loss.

yes it is comforting thanks
That would be very scarey. It sounds like you could have some deterioration. I mean, if you continue to have symptoms like that, I would consider schizophrenia. i'm not saying that that is what you have, but that is why i push a little bit with the newer psychotrophic. Without medication, the brain can deteriorate to an alzheimer like dementia. Very similar. This has been proved by studies of brain scans of schizophrenia. It is a very real brain disorder and lack of neurotransmitters. Other symptoms that could indicate schizophrenia, which unexperienced people might not know, is something called thought blocking. With this symptom, you forget what you are saying in the middle of a sentence. Some times you remember after a delay, and sometimes you don't at all. It can happen in severe depression too.
wouldnt have schizophrenia showed in the mri and brain scans
No. It does not show until much later in life.
well the thing that scared me is the type of attack that i had. starting with a back spasm. then went into a bad attack and then i screamed and felt like a weird change in my brain. then screamed and jumped up in the air. my psyc said i had a full blown panic attack. i think it was something more..it felt like a stroke with the numbness and feeling outside my body. then my brain felt different. and memory deteriating for some reason i will bring up what you suggested with my rn

Okay. Because there is a type of deterioration that can happen over time with schizophrenia. It would not show at the onset of the disease. Taking the antipsychotics and also SSRI's if needed helps to prevent this deterioration. This has been shown by brain scan. The biggest change in helping people with these kinds of brain disorders happened when the drug Clozaril was developed and started in trials in the early 90's and then the medications that followed that were developed that had less dangerous side effects as Clozaril. I saw people with schizophrenia that had been gradually getting worse and worse make complete turn arounds after they were started on these medications. They did go from almost "zombie" like states (due in part to the medications that they had to be on) to new people, often like they were starting over again, like where they were when they were teenagers or in their twenties when they first started getting ill. They had to be taught all the things that they had been left out of learning, like how to date, how to hold a part time job down, how to cook, all those things you usually learn at those ages. So it was pretty miraculous.

You don't have any hallucinations, is that correct?

Why do you think you may have had this change in your brain? Do you have a history of strokes in your family? Do you have any blood clotting abnormalities?

no hallucinations, that is when u see things right... nope none of that. there reason why i think i had a change in my brain was because i just felt something change up there when i could not remember who my dad was... then i went into a brain fog and short term memory started then long term. then this is going to sound weird but you know that feeling you have when ur mind is racing for athought i dont have that anymore. just feels empty plus you know thath feeling you have in your forhead when u are concentrating and things are registering dont have that either. just talking and its like not coming from my brain and forming thoughts... erection probs too... and ejaculate along withit plus no history of strokes no blood clotting abnormalites. all blood work was perfect, CT w.contrast taken a couple of months after was normal a ct in jan was normal a ct in april was normal.
What medications are you taking?
no meds right now............like i said.....
Have you bee to a urologist to see about the sexual problems?
nope my psic said it was psycological. problems getting erection and limited semen. for some reason. that all is connected to when that attack happened. and before that i was more then capable of gettingand maintaing and no semen problem at all
That sounds very unusual. I thought that those type of psychological problems were often more related to difficulties withing a relationship, that just "out of the blue" IT does make me (although I am not an expert on this) think that there is a metabolic or endocrinolic problem.
threis something cause ever since that attack, i have not been the same sexually or mentally and always feeling outside my body,... the only thing i can think of is envornmental
plus it has effected my vision all of a sudden and i am eating alot but not gaining weight. who do i see about those 2 possibilites

Well, I'd be happy about eating without gaining weight. That means your metabolism is good. I think you have already checked out your vision, correct? That is why I'm afraid it could be related to a delusion or hallucination.

well did not get my vision checked since i walked into the dust mold spores which made my eyes blurry and numb and red...since that time have not been able to see correctly and read things like i ussed to. The first Eye issue came on January 17th when i was in FLA watching my plasma then all of a sudden the left eye started going in and out and got blurry and contrast colors were changing. had to get up and since then eyes have not been right though checked and are okay. before that 20/20. that is why i say it was the mold that gave me the attack and memory loss...
plus since the bad attack on nov 5th i have had theb bad memory loss long and short which nobody knows why plus the wierd sensation with my skin especally my penis...and for a while, my testicles and penis and arms felt like rubber and nobody knows why.. wierd symptoms

Remember, when you said you wanted someone to be honest with you? I am just reminding you that you said that.

When you speak of the wierd sensations, this is when you sound like you are having thoughts that are distorted, called inferential thinking (delusions). Delusions are erroneous beliefs that involve misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. Their content may include somatic themes (such as yours.) This is one type of what is called "positive symptoms". It is one of the Criterion of Schizophrenia. So far though, I don't see that you meet other of the criterion. You may have schizotypal personality disorder, rather than schizophrenia. This means you might have similar "traits" of someone that has schizophrenia, but you do not have the full blown disorder. That speaks much better for you and your future as well. It may be that a small dose of the right antipsychotic medication may still help you though.

that still sounds weird because i have been told i have a great personality and very friendly and out going symptoms dont match me..the thoughts are not delusional when i was at church with my mom my face went numb and eye lids and i had trouble talking... since then i have had a weird sensation in my face.. that was REAL...

yes i remember asking someone to be honest
Well, it is of course difficulty for me to know for sure, only writing and not observing you, but some of the things that you say about your body do sound delusional. Wouldn't it be better to find out what was the problem so you could treat it? Most of us have at least a slight tendency to one of the personality disorders, of course most people won't admit that, although me and my friends would figure out what we were when we studied this in school. For some reason, a lot of people are afraid of these words and labels, which I agree, I don't like to ever put a label on anyone, because I always believe that we can heal, at least partially. We are all perfect the way we are, but if a person is worried, unhappy and wants to feel better and be happier, then sometimes it is good to use the labels so that we can figure out the best treatments. I in no way meant that you had a bad personality, see that is a stereotype or a misunderstanding of what these things mean (which most people have)
i didnt take it that way about the peronality. I understand you cannot diagnose without observing and not seeing in person. I can only give you th e symptoms and the previous blood work, etc... to give you the best idea what was going on. It was like i was having systemic disease symptoms though i was check for AMA etc etc for all diseases and all negative. Once again thses attacks are not normal for me you know about the first one. and second one. the third one i just started screaming and forth screaming and stuttering in my doctors office and no it was not nerves. I was stuttering at the moms too. Then i was getting confused where i was in a area that i lived for 31 years, know roads like the back of my hands. then i started asking wierd questions, what is this what is that? then i had the vision i issue i talked about before. I need Dr. house....and like i mentioned too the coated tongue, for me, it is a major symptom of dampness in chinese med. when i was healthy before this started, i had a perfect pink tongue. i vomited and had nausea in mornings..during ab discomfort that i told you about... that is why i thought it was myotoxioisis all the symptoms and long and short memory loss.. i cannot even remember what i learned for my degree. all my baseball knowledge gone..btw you are a nice nurse.. again no offense.

Did you ever take treatment for the tongue? Besides the antifungal medication it is important that you eat yogurt with active cultures frequently or at least take acidolpyllus, and eat oatmeal. The oatmeal helps the acidophyllus start up more cultures in your intestinal tract. It is important to try and eat foods without sulfites (preservatives too) if you think you have a yeast/bacterial imbalance, because the sulfites also kill the bacteria that is need by our systems in order to digest foods, and to make B12. So I would be interested in knowing if you ever followed up with treating the yeast infection. Taking the medication like nystatin is only short term, you have to "re seed" the intestinal tract by eating the yogurt, etc. There are some people that think yeast infections are a much bigger problem that most people realize. I'm not so sure about that, but if you actually have the symptoms of one, then it would be smart to treat it. That could be related to the foggy vision, if you had an overgrowth of yeast.

okay, i have been taking acidolpyllus i should start eating oatmeal. what about the other things i described mentally. like right now i dont feel connected or that i am thinking do u know what i mean when isay i dont that feeeling in my forhead that i am procesing and searching for an answer?
I'm not sure. But it is still eary, maybe you are still waking up.
no this is a constant ongoing....
plus this one night i woke up my body felt heavy and i was totally disorented i thought i was going to die then i started screaming and jumping up and down for some reason...
you couldn't control the screaming and jumping up and down?
no it was really weird, screaming and jumping. that was the fourth time that happened. the scary thing was my body felt heavy and i was totally disorented.. all since that attack in November my brain has not been the same. that is why i still think it was more than a panic attack, IE, stroke, TIA or something bad... just not normal..
Do you think you have tried everything suggested? What do you plan on doing now?
well i am taking the acodolphlis i had an uppder endoscopy in feb that iddnt show anything but acid refux and hiadal hernia.. they didnt find candidia or yeat infection there.. still the coated tongue. no tests are left everything has been tested. what do i plan on doing now.. i really dont know. vision got worse after i walked though the mold spores/dust.... i give up!!!! ALL CT SCANS AND MRI ARE ALL NORMAL.. 2 NUROLOGISTS CANNOT FIND ANYTHING I JUST ODNT KNOW
Well you should still take the acidphyllus and eat oatmeal to help it take hold into you intestine, just in case, because that is not really a focus of physicians, as far as keeping the intestinal tract working, and how important that is, so just because they told you they didn't find anything dosn't mean anything if you still can see it yourself on your tongue. Get the yogurt with cultures and eat that a few days a week as well. Try to eat foods that don't have sulfites which are preservatives that can kill your bodies bacteria that it needs in order to digest food and get the nutrients you need. I'd also take a b vitamin supplement too.
i take b's everyday hun, and am taking 2 acidphyllus in am and 2 in pm..and oatmeal i eat tooo......i leave for San Diego on June 4th.. hopeing change of envornment will help... i am just very concerned about my memory, empty feeling in my head not feeling connected and confusion. for 31 not good
Well that is great. And to be able to go to Sand Diego, you are very luck, supposedly the best city in the US!
well i hope the envirnment will change me. i still am not focused and feel like i am here. like my mind is not racing when i am thinking of something. also still the same with the empy head feeling... and no little voice in my head still feels like my mouth and brain do not match when i want to talk
What about getting involved with something? Do you have a favorite hobby, something fun that you never had time to do but would always love to do, sometimes that is the best way to get your mind to focus is on something that you are really interested in.
yea u are right, but that is the whole thing my mind cannot focus then i forget about it afterwards. it like leaves it. i cannot focus and h memory and storage problems. taht is why i said that attack was more than panic and nobody knows what it was, as you know it effected my vision too..i constantly dont feel connected to my body

Well, my point, is that you involve yourself in it anyway, and do your best with it. If it is something that you enjoy, at least you are spending you time dong something that is not boring to you. Then you at least keep using your mind and brain, even if it dosn't seem like it is working perfectly, at least you wil keep exercising you mind. And say positive things to yourself as much as you can, try to notice the occassion when you do remember something.

Perhaps you should keep writing as you are doing very well with the writing.

yeah true, it would not be soo bad if i had my voice in my head telling me what to say and have thoughts.. and not a constant blank it would be soo bad... just too many symptoms for a 31 year old plus the blurred vision
It would be better not to have these symptoms and problems, but I do bet you have a lot of things to be grateful for, and try to use those to make the best of what you have and you'll be able to over come the problems. It may not be in exactly the way you imagined or hoped but there is something that you can do with your talents.
yeah true..........that bad attack i am not the same since.. i remember my left arm hurting during that attack right after the back spasm started
Well keep talking, and doing your best to find answers. I think if you keep talking to people and reaching out, you will learn what the right thing is and what you need and when it becomes necessary, help will be there for you.
Reminder, will you be paying for this series?